You are reading

MTA to Install Safety Netting Under Elevated Tracks Across New York

On Feb. 21 a wooden beam fell from the elevated 7 line and pierced the windshield (Twitter: Van Bramer)

Oct. 2 2019 By Shane O’Brien

The MTA plans to spend $325 million to install safety netting under all elevated subway tracks to improve safety for pedestrians and motorists traveling below.

The netting will cover the entirety of the elevated subway tracks in New York, although the MTA was unable to provide a timeline for the installation.

There have been numerous incidents of debris falling from the elevated tracks this year, including several incidents in Woodside, and cars have been impaled or damaged as a result.

The MTA responded to the issue by installing safety netting at four stations throughout New York in July as part of a pilot program, including under the 61st Street-Woodside 7 station and under the 39th Avenue N/W station.

The agency now plans on rolling out safety netting city-wide as part of its $51.5 billion capital plan.

Nancy Gamerman, a spokesperson for the MTA, said that installing safety netting was one of many initiatives the MTA was pursuing to make the subway system safer.

“Safety is the top priority at NYC Transit, and we continually review our system to find ways it can be enhanced and improved. Increasing netting on elevated structures is just one of our efforts.”

Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer said that it was a huge relief that the MTA had decided to install the netting. The Council Member also said that he would persevere with public pressure until the nets were up.

“This is a huge win after months of advocating with the community for improvements along the 7 train,” Van Bramer said. “The MTA’s capital plan is outlined for the next five years, but we must keep up the pressure to ensure that the netting is put up as soon as possible.”

“After at least seven consecutive incidents of dangerous falling debris, this situation still must be treated with urgent care until the safety of all New Yorkers are guaranteed. We are incredibly lucky that no one has been injured or killed so far.”

Van Bramer’s office said that the MTA planned to install netting under the entirety of the elevated tracks.

61st Street – Woodside station (Photo: Nathaly Pesantez)

Council Member Costa Constantinides also praised the decision to install netting and said that it would help prevent casualties. The Council Member held a rally in Astoria in August when a flashlight fell from the Ditmars Boulevard N/W station and almost struck a pedestrian below.

“I am glad to see the MTA finally recognizes that pedestrians and cyclists are at risk anytime they cross the street or ride under an elevated track,” said Constantinides.

“Flashlights shouldn’t fall from the sky and nearly hit someone on the head – but that’s exactly what happened here in Astoria this summer. I hope the MTA will be a good community partner by installing protective netting under the entirety of the N/W elevated track in Astoria.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fresh Meadows MS-13 gang associate sentenced to nearly a half-century in prison for murder of Corona teen in Kissena Park: Feds

An MS-13 gang associate from Fresh Meadows was sentenced to 45 years in federal prison on Tuesday, Aug. 26, for the 2018 slaying of a Corona teenager in Flushing’s Kissena Park.

Juan Amaya-Ramirez, 27, and his co-defendant Oscar Flores-Mejia, 25, from Elmhurst, who is also an associate of the transnational criminal organization, pleaded guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Andy Peralta in Brooklyn federal court last September.

Plant Powered Metro NY helps reverse chronic illness with food and community

Aug. 28, 2025 By Jessica Militello

When Northern Queens resident Sherika Sterling discovered Plant Powered Metro NY’s Jumpstart program, she was struggling with a list of health issues that she thought she would have to deal with her entire life. After joining the program and changing to a plant-based diet, she was able to reverse many of her chronic ailments, including being pre-diabetic, after being equipped with practical tools, knowledge and plant-based recipes.

AG’s office launches investigation into death of man run over by police officer in Flushing Meadows Corona Park

The New York Attorney General’s Office of Special Investigations (OSI) has launched a probe into the death of a civilian on Saturday, Aug. 23, following a motor vehicle collision involving NYPD officers in Flushing Meadows Corona Park.

At approximately 4:37 p.m., an NYPD officer from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst was driving westbound in a marked police cruiser, a 2015 Ford Taurus, at around 10 miles per hour in front of the Queens Theater on United Nations Avenue South, across from the Unisphere, when the vehicle ran over a man who was allegedly lying face up on the roadway prior to the collision, police said.