You are reading

After Two Days of Flattening, Coronavirus Deaths Jump Statewide

(Mike Groll/Office of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo)

April 7, 2020 By Allie Griffin

New York State experienced the largest number of COVID-19 deaths yesterday — with 731 succumbing to the deadly virus.

The spike was particularly disappointing since it followed two back-to-back days where the number dropped. Governor Andrew Cuomo had hoped that the rate was leveling off and the apex had been reached.

Cuomo said the 731 deaths reflects “the largest single day increase.”

While the increase disappointed, Cuomo said that the number of deaths is a “lagging” indicator and that he remains hopeful since the total number of hospitalizations is flattening. He noted that the people who die have typically been in the hospital for an extended period of time.

In total, 5,489 people have died from the virus statewide as of this morning.

He reminded attendees at his press conference this morning that the numbers represent real people who have died as a result of the virus.

“We talk about numbers, but that’s 731 people who we lost [yesterday],” he said. “Behind every one of those numbers is an individual, is a family, is a mother, is a father, is a sister, is a brother.”

However, the good news is that the total number of hospitalizations appears to be flattening and reaching a plateau, Cuomo reiterated. Daily ICU admissions and daily intubations are also down.

In New York City this morning, Mayor Bill de Blasio also shared hopeful news–noting that the number of coronavirus patients who need ventilators has decreased.

“The number of people showing up in our hospitals who need a ventilator — that situation has improved a bit in recent days,” de Blasio said at a press conference in Manhattan.

“For the first time in many days we did not see a major increase in the number of ventilators needed in [Health + Hospitals] hospitals yesterday,” de Blasio said.

The number was “pretty stable from Sunday into Monday,” he added.

De Blasio said it’s too early to draw any conclusions, but added that the good news is that the decrease in intubations gives the city more time to secure more ventilators for incoming patients as the week progresses.

Both Cuomo and de Blasio urged New Yorkers to continue to stay home and practice social distancing despite the hopeful news.

“This is a disease that, you know, if you take your eye off the ball, there’s nothing that stops it from reasserting,” de Blasio said.

As of 9:30 a.m. today, 3,202 people in New York City have died of the virus — a number greater than the 2,977 lives lost from the 9/11 attacks.

“No one should let down their guard, no one should stop taking the precautions,” he added.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fresh Meadows MS-13 gang associate sentenced to nearly a half-century in prison for murder of Corona teen in Kissena Park: Feds

An MS-13 gang associate from Fresh Meadows was sentenced to 45 years in federal prison on Tuesday, Aug. 26, for the 2018 slaying of a Corona teenager in Flushing’s Kissena Park.

Juan Amaya-Ramirez, 27, and his co-defendant Oscar Flores-Mejia, 25, from Elmhurst, who is also an associate of the transnational criminal organization, pleaded guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Andy Peralta in Brooklyn federal court last September.

Plant Powered Metro NY helps reverse chronic illness with food and community

Aug. 28, 2025 By Jessica Militello

When Northern Queens resident Sherika Sterling discovered Plant Powered Metro NY’s Jumpstart program, she was struggling with a list of health issues that she thought she would have to deal with her entire life. After joining the program and changing to a plant-based diet, she was able to reverse many of her chronic ailments, including being pre-diabetic, after being equipped with practical tools, knowledge and plant-based recipes.

AG’s office launches investigation into death of man run over by police officer in Flushing Meadows Corona Park

The New York Attorney General’s Office of Special Investigations (OSI) has launched a probe into the death of a civilian on Saturday, Aug. 23, following a motor vehicle collision involving NYPD officers in Flushing Meadows Corona Park.

At approximately 4:37 p.m., an NYPD officer from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst was driving westbound in a marked police cruiser, a 2015 Ford Taurus, at around 10 miles per hour in front of the Queens Theater on United Nations Avenue South, across from the Unisphere, when the vehicle ran over a man who was allegedly lying face up on the roadway prior to the collision, police said.