You are reading

Astoria Man Arrested for Fatal Hit-and-Run of 5-Year-Old Boy in East Elmhurst

The police have nabbed an alleged hit-and-run driver who was wanted for fatally striking 5-year-old Jonathan Martinez, pictured, in East Elmhurst earlier this month (Photos: GoFundMe, NYPD and Unsplash)

Sept. 21, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

The police have nabbed an alleged hit-and-run driver who was wanted for fatally striking a 5-year-old boy in East Elmhurst earlier this month.

Xavier Carchipull, 40, of Astoria, was arrested and charged Wednesday with leaving the scene of a fatal crash and driving without a license—after he allegedly plowed a white pickup truck into victim Jonathan Martinez on Sept. 1.

Carchipull, who was driving a 2018 Dodge Ram, hit Martinez as he was attempting to cross 100th Street – near the intersection of McIntosh Street — with his father and two brothers, according to police and published reports.

Martinez was holding his father’s hand at the time of the deadly incident, according to video footage and reports. His father pulled him back as he saw the Dodge turning, but the vehicle struck the boy and dragged him, according to CBS New York.

Carchipull then fled the scene — as Martinez’s family looked on in horror. The family lived about two blocks away from where the boy was struck.

Martinez suffered severe trauma to his head and torso but could not be saved.

Police slapped Carchipull with other charges including operating a vehicle that wasn’t insured, registered or inspected.

Carchipull, who works as a construction worker and lives on 33rd Street, has been arrested on at least two occasions for drunk driving, police said.

He was scheduled to be arraigned before Queens Criminal Court Wednesday, police said.

Jonathan Martinez, pictured, was killed as he attempted to cross 100th Street in East Elmhurst (Photo GoFundMe)

The 2018 Dodge Ram allegedly used in the hit-and-run incident (Photo: NYPD)

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fresh Meadows MS-13 gang associate sentenced to nearly a half-century in prison for murder of Corona teen in Kissena Park: Feds

An MS-13 gang associate from Fresh Meadows was sentenced to 45 years in federal prison on Tuesday, Aug. 26, for the 2018 slaying of a Corona teenager in Flushing’s Kissena Park.

Juan Amaya-Ramirez, 27, and his co-defendant Oscar Flores-Mejia, 25, from Elmhurst, who is also an associate of the transnational criminal organization, pleaded guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Andy Peralta in Brooklyn federal court last September.

Plant Powered Metro NY helps reverse chronic illness with food and community

Aug. 28, 2025 By Jessica Militello

When Northern Queens resident Sherika Sterling discovered Plant Powered Metro NY’s Jumpstart program, she was struggling with a list of health issues that she thought she would have to deal with her entire life. After joining the program and changing to a plant-based diet, she was able to reverse many of her chronic ailments, including being pre-diabetic, after being equipped with practical tools, knowledge and plant-based recipes.

AG’s office launches investigation into death of man run over by police officer in Flushing Meadows Corona Park

The New York Attorney General’s Office of Special Investigations (OSI) has launched a probe into the death of a civilian on Saturday, Aug. 23, following a motor vehicle collision involving NYPD officers in Flushing Meadows Corona Park.

At approximately 4:37 p.m., an NYPD officer from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst was driving westbound in a marked police cruiser, a 2015 Ford Taurus, at around 10 miles per hour in front of the Queens Theater on United Nations Avenue South, across from the Unisphere, when the vehicle ran over a man who was allegedly lying face up on the roadway prior to the collision, police said.