You are reading

Alleged serial rapist from East Elmhurst facing life in prison for ‘brutality inflicted’ on three young women last year: DA

Mar. 10, 2023 By Bill Parry

An East Elmhurst man was indicted for kidnapping, raping, and assaulting three young women during a reign of terror across Queens last year.

Andres Portilla, 28, of 85th Street, was arraigned Friday before Queens Supreme Court Justice Ushir Pandit-Durant on a 56-count indictment charging him with kidnapping in the first and second degree; predatory sexual assault; assault in the first and second degree; criminal sexual act in the first, second and third degree; rape in the first, second and third degree; sexual abuse in the first degree; criminal possession of a weapon in the third degree; and endangering the welfare of a child, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

According to the charges, in September 2022, Portilla invited one of his victims, a minor, to an apartment in Queens, where he held the 15-year-old runaway from Long Island captive and perpetrated both sexual and physical assaults upon her, resulting in permanent injuries. After vacating the apartment, Portilla held the girl captive in his car and continued committing sexual and physical assaults against her, often using a dangerous instrument.

While restraining the first victim inside his car on Dec. 16, Portilla lured a second victim, also a minor, into his vehicle on 64th Road and the service road of the Grand Central Parkway in Forest Hills, police said. Portilla locked the doors and allegedly said, “You’re not getting out of this car,” before he proceeded to rape her repeatedly in the back seat, according to the criminal complaint, while threatening the use of a dangerous instrument.

Portilla lured a third victim into his car on New Year’s Day in Long Island City under the guise of allowing her to use a phone charger. Portilla held her captive for days while sexually and physically assaulting her before threatening and releasing her. The victim reported to the police and underwent treatment at a local hospital.

After an intensive investigation, SVU detectives were able to identify both the defendant and the car he was driving. On the morning of Friday, Jan. 6, a manhunt and a vehicle chase ensued that culminated with his arrest near Gorman Playground, one block from his home on 85th Street.

“The brutality inflicted upon these vulnerable young women is unspeakable,” Katz said. “This indictment is the first step toward providing some measure of justice to the victims and their families.”

Justice Pandit-Durant ordered Portilla to return to court on April 11. If convicted, he faces
consecutive 25-years-to-life in prison sentences.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue