You are reading

Annual Dragon Boat Festival kicks off in Central Park ahead of Queens extravaganza

Jul. 20, 2023 By Dean Moses

The serpent rises again.

Central Park played host to an awe-inspiring ceremony on Thursday that marked the launch of a Queens staple that has been running for more than three decades: The Dragon Boat Festival.

Dubbed the “Dragon Awakening Ceremony,” parkgoers stopped in their tracks by the Bethesda Fountain on July 20 as the festival was launched in grand fashion.

The Dragon Boat Festival is a two-day extravaganza that takes place annually in Flushing Meadows Corona Park, with this year’s event set to draw thousands on Aug. 12 and 13.

Martial artists kicked-off the dragon awakening in Central Park on Thursday. Photo by Dean Moses

The commemoration melds traditional Chinese culture with an event-filled day out that includes boat races, a variety of cuisine, games and more. A large stage also offers musical acts, dances and spoken word performances.

“It’s a very quintessential New York event,” race announcer Ian Brooks told QNS. “I think we get like 40,000 people there over the weekend because it’s a food festival too. There is nothing else quite like it.”

Two monks blessed the organizers and a race boat that was fitted with a dragon’s head. Photo by Dean Moses

Two monks blessed the organizers and a race boat that was fitted with a dragon’s head. Photo by Dean Moses

The festival’s return was celebrated with martial artists of all ages showcasing their skills with high-flying acrobatics before two monks blessed the organizers and a race boat that was fitted with a dragon’s head. Chanting, the holy men circled the raft and splashed it with water.

“We’re happy to be able to organize such an event. Besides the exciting racing we also have multi-ethnic food,” festival chairman Henry Wan pointed out. “Remember, the event is free, so come and see us.”

Organizers dotted the eyes of the dragon, symbolizing its awakening, before taking the boat onto the Central Park Lake, where they paddled on the moss-covered water and waved to onlookers.

Organizers dotted the Dragon’s eyes. Photo by Dean Moses

Organizers paddled in the Central Park Lake. Photo by Dean Moses

Organizers paddled in the Central Park Lake.Photo by Dean Moses

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.

Man sought for raping 13-year-old girl in Flushing park in broad daylight Thursday: NYPD

An urgent manhunt is underway in Northeast Queens after a Hispanic man allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl at knifepoint in Kissena Corridor Park in broad daylight on Thursday afternoon.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing reported that the youngster was with a 13-year-old boy in the park near Kalmia Avenue and Colden Street at around 3:30 p.m. when a stranger approached and threatened them with a knife, forcing them both into a wooded section where he tied them up. The perpetrator proceeded to forcibly remove their cell phones before sexually assaulting the girl, police said, adding that he fled in an unknown direction.