You are reading

Flushing man charged after performing acupuncture on woman that caused her lungs to collapse: DA

Sep. 18, 2023 By Bill Parry

A Flushing man is accused of administering acupuncture treatments he was not licensed to perform that caused a woman’s lungs to collapse more than a year ago, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

Yong De Lin, 66, was arraigned Sept. 18 in Queens Supreme Court on a four-count indictment charging him with assault in the first and second degrees, reckless endangerment in the first degree and unauthorized practice of a profession.

According to the charges, on May 10, 2022, Shujuan Jiang, 63, visited C&W Medical at 3808 Union St. in Flushing for relief of stomach and back pain and was introduced to Lin. She returned to the offices on May 16, 2022, and Lin administered acupuncture treatments to her stomach and back. Jiang returned for 16 additional treatments between May 18 and Oct. 28. During the final session, Jiang began to feel unwell after receiving treatment and laid down. After performing additional acupuncture and a cupping treatment, Lin sent Jiang home.

Jiang experienced shortness of breath on her way home and collapsed on the sidewalk, according to prosecutors. A bystander called 911 and Jiang was taken to a hospital, where it was determined that both of her lungs had collapsed because of the acupuncture treatments. Immediate surgery was required to save her life. Jiang remained hospitalized for six days.

Lin is not a licensed acupuncturist, nor has he ever applied for the required state licensure, according to prosecutors.

“The difference between receiving health care from a competent, licensed professional or someone who is unlicensed can mean the difference between life and death,” Katz said. “As alleged, the defendant was not licensed, nor had even bothered to apply for licensure, and he very nearly killed his patient. We urge any other victims to come forward.”.

Queens Supreme Court Justice Toni Cimino ordered Lin to return to court on Sept. 20. If convicted, he faces up to 25 years in prison.

Meanwhile, Katz is urging anyone who received acupuncture treatments from Lin, who worked at C&W Medical offices in Flushing, to contact her office’s Elder Fraud unit at 718-286-6578.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.

Man sought for raping 13-year-old girl in Flushing park in broad daylight Thursday: NYPD

An urgent manhunt is underway in Northeast Queens after a Hispanic man allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl at knifepoint in Kissena Corridor Park in broad daylight on Thursday afternoon.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing reported that the youngster was with a 13-year-old boy in the park near Kalmia Avenue and Colden Street at around 3:30 p.m. when a stranger approached and threatened them with a knife, forcing them both into a wooded section where he tied them up. The perpetrator proceeded to forcibly remove their cell phones before sexually assaulting the girl, police said, adding that he fled in an unknown direction.