You are reading

International Food Expo coming to the New York Hall of Science in Flushing Meadows Corona Park

Oct. 25, 2023 By Ethan Marshall

The New York Hall of Science in Flushing Meadows Corona Park will be hosting Queens Together’s International Food Expo in November. Numerous Queens restaurants will be represented at this event, which is scheduled to run from 6 to 9 p.m. on Nov. 9.

Photo by Megan Green

Attendees will have the opportunity to sample from and support the local restaurants taking part, while also contributing to Queens Together’s food relief efforts within the community. There will be unlimited tastings from over 40 different Queens restaurants and beverage companies. Additionally, there will be a cocktail bar hosted by Neir’s Tavern.

expo

Photo courtesy of Queens Together

Money raised from this event will go to the restaurants, as well as Queens Together’s upcoming Thanksgiving food pantry distribution event, set to occur on Nov. 18 at the Culture Lab in Long Island City. Thanksgiving meals will be distributed to food pantries across the borough. According to Queens Together Director Jonathan Forgash, they hope to feed as many as 4,000 families through this.

Many of the restaurants and beverage companies selected for the International Food Expo were chosen in order to showcase the diversity of the people of Queens. Some of these include Hello! Bangladesh, Sybil’s, Fuzi Pasta Co., Lhasa Liang Fen, Punjabi Dhaba, Tito Rad’s, Zaab Zaab, Urban Vegan Roots, La Boulangerie de François, Taste of Surabaya, Mayahuel Bar & Restaurant and much more. More restaurants are still signing up to take part.

“The purpose of the event is two-fold,” Forgash said. “Queens Together always believes in celebrating [the borough’s] restaurants and helping to raise money for food relief and partner with these restaurants for relief. And we use that money to do food relief across the borough.”

Sponsors for the International Food Expo include Hydro-Québec, New York Mets owner Steve Cohen, Sysco and the New York Hall of Science. Sysco will also be providing the venue with biodegradable dining supplies for the International Food Expo. In addition to sponsoring the event, Hydro-Québec will also be hosting a Queens Clean Energy Symposium that same day from 5-8:30 p.m. in the Connected Worlds exhibit on the second floor.

Tickets for the International Food Expo are currently on sale on Queenstogether.org. While the cost is $100 per person, early-bird tickets are available at a discount of $75 until Oct. 26. In addition to the International Food Expo, tickets also grant access to the Clean Energy Symposium. Tickets for kids 12 years of age or younger are free. Don’t miss this night of delicious eating, doing good for the community and learning about clean energy solutions in the borough.

Queens Together is a 501c3 Restaurant-Driven Food Relief Organization that empowers local eateries to combat hunger in the borough. They work to provide culturally rich meals and groceries to neighbors in need, while also promoting business success and job stability. Since 2020, Queens Together has served meals and groceries to nearly 400,000 people, thanks to local restaurants, the USDA’s Farm to Family program and funding from public and private sources.

The organization started shortly after New York City was shut down due to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. Forgash, who spent around 30 years as a chef, wanted to help support local restaurants at the time. He, along with other volunteers, began raising money on social media to pay restaurants to prepare to-go meals for frontline workers. It didn’t take long before they then pivoted towards helping to feed people who were out of work or immunocompromised. Since then, Forgash has overseen Queens Together’s rapid growth.

“We help support restaurants with resources and educate them to help them be successful,” Forgash said. “We do that in different languages, because Queens is a very diverse place. We partner with Red Cross to do food relief across the borough.”

Those who may not be able to attend the event but are still interested in donating can do so by going to expo.queenstogether.org/donate.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.

Man sought for raping 13-year-old girl in Flushing park in broad daylight Thursday: NYPD

An urgent manhunt is underway in Northeast Queens after a Hispanic man allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl at knifepoint in Kissena Corridor Park in broad daylight on Thursday afternoon.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing reported that the youngster was with a 13-year-old boy in the park near Kalmia Avenue and Colden Street at around 3:30 p.m. when a stranger approached and threatened them with a knife, forcing them both into a wooded section where he tied them up. The perpetrator proceeded to forcibly remove their cell phones before sexually assaulting the girl, police said, adding that he fled in an unknown direction.