You are reading

All New Yorkers Mandated to Wear a Mask or Face Covering in Public: Governor

Wikimedia Commons

April 15, 2020 By Allie Griffin

All New Yorkers must wear a mask or face covering while in public spaces where social distancing isn’t possible, Governor Andrew Cuomo announced today.

Cuomo will sign an executive order today to mandate the face covering requirement in places across the state where people aren’t able to keep six feet apart from others.

“If you’re going to be in public and you cannot maintain social distancing, then have a mask,” he said.

New Yorkers will be required to put the masks on before they walk on busy streets, take public transportation, or in other situations where they’ll be in close proximity to others.

The covering or mask should cover a person’s nose and mouth, Cuomo added.

The mandate will go into effect in three days, so that people who don’t already have a cloth covering or mask can get one.

It comes after Mayor Bill de Blasio issued an advisory asking New York City residents to wear a face covering in public on April 3. At the time, Queens Council Member Robert Holden said the advisory should be made mandatory.

This morning, the mayor said grocery stores and supermarkets should require shoppers to wear a mask or face covering.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Corona man convicted of murder-for-hire in fatal shooting outside a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019: Feds

A Corona hitman was found guilty of killing a man outside a Flushing karaoke bar in exchange for a $100,000 wristwatch in 2019.

Antony Abreu, 36, was convicted by a federal jury on Tuesday on both counts on an indictment charging him with murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy in connection to the fatal shooting of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu at the Grand Slam KTV on Fowler Avenue on Feb. 12, 2019.

Flushing man indicted in fatal collision that killed 10-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month: DA

A Flushing man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in a fatal collision that killed an 8-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month.

Jose Barcia, 52, is accused of speeding through a crosswalk while making a left turn, killing Bayron Palomino Arroyo and injuring his 10-year-old brother Bradley on Mar. 13. The grand jury indictment was filed on Apr. 18, and Barcia will be arraigned on May 2, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.