You are reading

Alleged Forest Hills ‘Duck Sauce Killer’ Found Dead From Suicide

Zhiwen Yan and his wife Eva Zhao (GoFundMe) and a screenshot of Yan on his bike

Aug. 5, 2022 By Michael Dorgan

The man accused of the shooting death of a delivery worker in Forest Hills in late April was found dead in his home Friday after apparently taking his own life.

Glenn Hirsch, 51, was found dead by police inside his Jamaica apartment on 141st Street after failing to show up for a Friday morning court appearance, according to published reports.

Hirsch, who was out on bail, is believed to have shot himself and left behind a suicide note where he declared he was not responsible for gunning down 45-year-old Zhiwen Yan on April 30, according to the New York Post.

Yan was shot in the chest while on his scooter making deliveries for the Great Wall Chinese restaurant located at 104-37 Queens Blvd.

Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz confirmed the news that Hirsch was dead Friday and said she had wanted him to appear in court for the killing of Yan.

“The loss of a human life is always tragic,” Katz said. “Obviously, we would have preferred to try Mr. Glenn Hirsch for the calculated murder of Mr. Zhiwen Yan in a court of law, but this is no longer an option.”

“We once again express our deepest condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Zhiwen Yan, who continue to grieve his tragic and senseless loss.”

Yan, a married father of three, had worked at the restaurant for more than a decade. He had immigrated to the U.S. from China about 20 years ago.

Cops said previously that Hirsch had a grudge against the restaurant, having had multiple arguments with workers at the eatery. He was particularly upset that he had been shorted duck sauce while making an order late last year. Police also found a huge stash of condiments inside his fridge — many of which were filled with duck sauce.

The restaurant’s owner said Hirsch had been harassing them prior to the shooting and that he had vandalized his car and showed up one time with a gun.

Hirsch was arrested in early June and was out on bail awaiting trial on murder, stalking and other charges.

His former attorney Michael Horn had argued that his client was innocent and that the police had nabbed the wrong person. Hirsch had since changed attorney.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Corona man charged with rape and kidnapping for attacks on 13-year-olds in Flushing park: DA

Ecuadorean migrant Christian Inga was criminally charged Wednesday with first-degree rape, two counts of kidnapping, predatory sexual assault, and other crimes for attacking two 13-year-olds who were in Kissena Corridor Park in the middle of the afternoon on June 13.

He allegedly held the two children at knifepoint in a wooded area where he tied the hands of the boy and girl together with a shoelace and then raped the girl.

Curtis Sliwa calls for more protection of kids after brutal sexual attack on teenage girl in Flushing

Jun. 18, 2024 By Gabriele Holtermann

Following the horrific incident where a 13-year-old girl was raped in Kissena Corridor Park in Flushing last Thursday, former NYC mayoral candidate Curtis Sliwa, several GOP candidates, and community leaders held a rally in the park on Monday evening. They called for increased protection for children in Flushing after the attacker forced the victim and her friend into a wooded area at knifepoint, tied them up, and committed the heinous crime.

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.