You are reading

AOC and Schumer Launch Funeral Fund for Low-Income Families Who Lost a Loved One to Covid-19

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and U.S. Senator Charles Schumer (Wikimedia commons)

Feb. 8, 2021 By Michael Dorgan

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Sen. Chuck Schumer have announced that $260 million will be made available to cover funeral costs for low-income families who lost a loved one to COVID-19 last year.

On average, around $7,000 will be made available to the families of deceased New York coronavirus victims who could not afford to cover the costs associated with taking care of their remains, the lawmakers said at a joint press briefing in Corona Monday.

Payments will be available retroactively to the families of victims who died between Jan. 20, 2020, and Dec. 31, 2020–although Schumer said efforts are underway to ensure the program is in place for the remainder of the pandemic.

The legislators said the funds will be available via FEMA’s Disaster Funeral Assistance program — part of the agency’s $2 billion Disaster Relief Fund.

The congresswoman said many people of color– particularly those in low-income neighborhoods–have been hit hard by the virus and many have not had the means to pay for a family member’s funeral arrangements.

She said that thousands of people who were already stretched financially have had to find ways to pay for the death of a relative.

Ocasio-Cortez said that many of these people are undocumented immigrants. She said undocumented immigrants will be eligible to tap into the fund.

The congresswoman’s district includes the Elmhurst, Corona and Jackson Heights neighborhoods – which were once considered the epicenter of the Coronavirus outbreak.

Many residents in the area have limited means and are new immigrants. Around 20 percent of Corona residents live below the poverty level, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

The funds will cover casket costs, mortuary services, death certificates, and cremation or interment, the legislators said.

Schumer advised applicant families to work with the city, state and their funeral director to prepare the necessary paperwork.

Some of the documentation includes verifying the next of kin’s identity, his/her relationship to the deceased, a death certificate that lists the deceased’s death as related to COVID-19 and documentation of all costs associated with the family member’s funeral.

Schumer said that an online portal will be provided to submit documents and FEMA is setting up a call center where caseworkers will help residents with applications.

“The work now centers on making sure eligible families know this is happening and know how to access the funds—that’s why our next job is to get the word out,” Schumer said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Corona man charged with rape and kidnapping for attacks on 13-year-olds in Flushing park: DA

Ecuadorean migrant Christian Inga was criminally charged Wednesday with first-degree rape, two counts of kidnapping, predatory sexual assault, and other crimes for attacking two 13-year-olds who were in Kissena Corridor Park in the middle of the afternoon on June 13.

He allegedly held the two children at knifepoint in a wooded area where he tied the hands of the boy and girl together with a shoelace and then raped the girl.

Curtis Sliwa calls for more protection of kids after brutal sexual attack on teenage girl in Flushing

Jun. 18, 2024 By Gabriele Holtermann

Following the horrific incident where a 13-year-old girl was raped in Kissena Corridor Park in Flushing last Thursday, former NYC mayoral candidate Curtis Sliwa, several GOP candidates, and community leaders held a rally in the park on Monday evening. They called for increased protection for children in Flushing after the attacker forced the victim and her friend into a wooded area at knifepoint, tied them up, and committed the heinous crime.

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.