You are reading

Barry Grodenchik, Who Represents Eastern Queens in City Council, Announces That He Will Not Seek Re-election

Council Member Barry Grodenchik. (NYC City Council)

Oct. 14, 2020 By Christian Murray

Council Member Barry Grodenchik announced this morning that he will not seek re-election and will step down when his current term ends Dec. 31, 2021.

Grodenchik, who represents eastern Queens, is one of only four council members in Queens eligible to serve another term due to term limits.

His departure will mean that 12 of the 15 council seats in Queens are guaranteed to be represented by newcomers in 2022. Eleven council members in Queens will be forced to step down at the end of next year due to term limits.

Grodenchik, who is 60, said that his decision to not seek re-election was made after much deliberation.

“After much thought and reflection with family and friends, I have decided that it is time to put a period on this chapter of my life and retire from public service,” Grodenchik said in a statement posted to twitter. “Being a member of the council has been, and will continue to be, a hallmark of my public service career, which extends back more than a generation.”

Grodenchik, who has represented the 23rd Council District since he won a 2015 special election, has had a lengthy career in public service. He represented the Flushing area in the state assembly in 2003 and 2004, and was later the Queens Deputy Borough President from 2010 to 2013.

The council member was caught up in controversy last year when he was accused of having made unwanted advances and having inappropriate conversations with a female staffer. He later admitted  wrong doing and resigned from his chairmanship of the City Council Parks Committee.

Grodenchik, in announcing his decision not to seek reelection, thanked the people of his district and reflected on his time in office.

“In the council, it has been my honor to be a foremost advocate for feeding New Yorkers and for enhancing funding for our parks,” he said. “Locally, I have advanced the cause of education, including the building of over 2,600 new school seats.”

Grodenchik is lifelong Queens resident who grew up in NYCHA’s Pomonok Houses in Flushing.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mets partner with mass mobility service company Rally to provide gameday shuttles for three upcoming games

Jul. 22, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The New York Mets and mass mobility service company Rally on July 19 announced a partnership to provide shuttle service to three upcoming Mets games from special locations or crowdsourced trips. This service will be available for the Saturday, July 27, game against the Atlanta Braves, the Saturday, Aug. 17, game against the Miami Marlins and the Saturday, Sept. 7, game against the Cincinnati Reds.

Queens Special Victims Squad joins search for alleged rapist in Downtown Flushing: NYPD

Detectives from the Queens Special Victims Squad have joined the urgent manhunt for the sexual predator who allegedly beat and raped a 53-year-old woman inside a commercial building in Downtown Flushing on the night of Sunday, July 14.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing responded to a 911 call after the victim was attacked at 11:06 p.m. inside the business in the vicinity of Prince Street and 40th Road near the Bland Houses NYCHA complex after the perpetrator punched her multiple times in the head before forcibly raping her, police said. The stranger then fled on foot in an unknown direction.

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.