You are reading

Billionaire Landlord Pays for Hiding Buyers’ True Costs in Forest Hills Condo Conversion

When offering condo units for sale at The Georgian in Forest Hills, Pinnacle Group CEO Joel Wiener failed to properly disclose capital repairs necessary for gas piping, says the state attorney general. Stephon Patrice Pujols-Johnson/THE CITY

Logo for THE CITY

This article was originally published by The CITY on Oct. 5

A torn-up bedroom wall and exposed pipes. That is what Joe Yin remembers from several years ago, after the Forest Hills condo unit he lived in was converted — along with most of the building — from rent-stabilized units.

It was also the first time he learned that the building needed major work on its gas pipelines — at significant cost to buyers.

“That’s how I got pissed off,” Yin, who lives in the Georgian Court apartment building on Queens Boulevard, told THE CITY. “They kept us in the dark, so I didn’t know there was an issue.”

But if residents like Yin were in the dark, that apparently wasn’t the case for the condo’s developer.

Joel Wiener, the CEO of real estate management company Pinnacle Group, admitted in a June settlement with state Attorney General Letitia James’s office that his company had failed to properly acknowledge the capital repairs necessary for gas piping when selling units in the converted Forest Hills condo.

In the settlement, which has not been previously disclosed, the reported “real estate billionaire” agreed to pay about $330,000 to the condo’s reserve fund to cover the cost of the piping, as well as $150,000 in penalties to the city Department of Housing Preservation and Development, the Attorney General’s Office exclusively told THE CITY and confirmed receipt of the payment.

Wiener, a prolific condo developer, has maintained his influential presence in New York City in spite of allegations and settlements over the years, including in connection with overcharging tenants.

Attorney general records show that he has converted at least 40 buildings across the city, including condo or co-op buildings that had previously been mostly rent-stabilized rentals, like The Georgian.

Wiener’s company also agreed to replace the homeowners’ electric stoves, which were installed during the conversion process, with gas stoves at the company’s expense.

Lack of Transparency

The president of the condo board, Sabrina Gao, told THE CITY that she and two other members of the board filed a complaint back in March of 2019 after a gas leak in the building raised concerns about maintenance and management transparency.

But the company said in the settlement agreement that it had never received any complaints of a gas leak by any resident prior to October 2021, and that a third-party inspector had certified that the metered “gas piping … is in fair condition and can remain in use” prior to and just after the condo conversion application was approved.

The settlement agreement mentioned that the company had explored options to “bring the gas piping for cooking ‘up to new con ed specifications’” as early as March 2017 — prior to the first five condos closing in June 2017, as well as the 21 purchasing agreements executed over the same period of time.

But the company did not disclose work to replace piping in three subsequent amendments until one that was filed in 2019, which itself did not meet the attorney general’s legal requirement for disclosure paperwork to condo buyers, according to the settlement agreement.

Gao said she had been unaware of these issues at the time of her condo purchase in the summer of 2017. In fact, the company only disclosed the need for repairs for the first time more than a year later, in a November 2018 condo board meeting, according to the settlement document.

New York Attorney General Letitia James speaks in Lower Manhattan in September. Ben Fractenberg/THE CITY

“I think they were trying to cover it, but then unfortunately on their part, the problem resurfaced about a year after the conversion to the condo happened,” Gao told THE CITY. “So we talked to the super and the people that are working on the building prior to the conversion, and found out that there were definitely issues that weren’t disclosed.”

History of Tensions

A spokesperson for the Pinnacle Group told THE CITY that the company only pursued those repair inquiries in 2017 as “a prudent manager” in anticipation of a local law passed in 2016 and slated to go into effect in the neighborhood in December of this year. The law, according to the settlement document, would require “more stringent inspection and testing of gas pipes.”

Some condo owners, however, disagreed with the company’s characterization of its management style. Others speculated that its repair inquiries indicated interest in passing on the cost to the condo’s reserve fund — the equivalent of a joint savings account paid for by homeowners.

“The sponsor knew that there was an issue, waited until they had the reserve fund funded, and then took money from the reserve fund to fix the issue,” said a homeowner on the third floor who declined to provide his name. “Whereas, you know, if they knew about it, they should have done it before even trying to turn it into a condo. And that way, they’re not kind of paying themselves back for repairs that they should have paid for.”

Other residents at The Georgian also alleged Pinnacle had included overcharges hidden within maintenance fees. A company spokesperson responded that “maintenance costs were fully disclosed to unit buyers” and remained constant over the course of its management.

A fire in the building in 2018, as the conversion from rentals to condos was underway, also threatened to displace some remaining rent-stabilized tenants. The spokesperson said the fire was caused by a resident overloading an outlet.

Repeat Offender

This is not the first time that the Pinnacle Group has come under legal scrutiny. Over the course of a 2006 investigation, the company — which owned 20,000 apartments in New York City at the time — conceded that it had overcharged rent-stabilized tenants at an apartment complex in The Bronx. Pinnacle agreed to pay $1 million to 300 tenants to make up for what they’d been overcharged, with interest. The company also agreed to “retain a forensic accounting firm to review rents charged on all of its properties in New York City.”

In 2011, the company settled a class-action lawsuit in which rent-regulated tenants in The Bronx alleged harassment, price gouging, and eviction attempts by the company.

The company then agreed to pay $2.5 million toward organizations that helped its tenants with legal claims. And in 2021, the company agreed to donate $50,000 to tenant organizing nonprofits over its failure to apply for a front-door lock system change at a Flushing condo converted from a rent-stabilized building.

According to a statement by the Attorney General’s Office at the time, the key fob distribution process following the unauthorized change was “overly burdensome” and led a “significant number of non-citizen and non-legal permanent resident Chinese tenants of the building with the impression that they were not entitled to access their own homes.”

James said in a statement to THE CITY that her office will continue to “defend residents from developers that seek to profit from shortcuts or use their power to deceive others into paying for their mistakes.”

“Joel Wiener and Pinnacle Group cut corners to protect their own fortune, and unfairly transferred the burden of a major repair onto hardworking homeowners,” James said. “Developers must deliver on their promises.”

THE CITY is an independent, nonprofit news outlet dedicated to hard-hitting reporting that serves the people of New York.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Borough president hears from community members on budget needs throughout Queens

During a two-day public hearing on the mayor’s 2024 preliminary budget, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. listened to testimonies from 14 community board representatives, community stakeholders and members of the public on where the money should be spent in Queens. 

The public hearings were held both in-person and via Zoom on Monday, Jan. 30, and Tuesday, Jan. 31, at Queens Borough Hall. The testimonials will be used to develop the Queens Borough Board’s FY24 preliminary budget priorities in the coming weeks. 

‘He didn’t deserve to die’: Borough President Richards leads emotional candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards held a candlelight vigil for Tyre Nichols outside Queens Borough Hall Monday, Jan. 30 after Nichols’ death at the hands of police officers in Memphis, Tenn., made national headlines for the brutality in which the officers beat him.

Almost immediately after news broke about Nichols’ death, the Memphis police officers who beat him to death were fired and charged with murder. The police department released the body cam footage of the fatal beating on Jan. 27, but many people, including some at the vigil, have refused to watch it due to its extremely graphic nature.

Queens Botanical Garden hosts Lunar New Year celebration with globally beloved Miffy

About 4,200 people joined the world-renowned beloved rabbit Miffy to ring in the Year of the Rabbit at Queens Botanical Garden’s Lunar New Year celebration on Saturday, Jan. 28. 

Queens Botanical Garden’s Lunar New Year celebration included a visit from Councilman Shekar Krishnan, who gave remarks, followed by a program of activities for all ages. Attendees enjoyed a lion dance performance, zodiac crafts, demonstrations, lucky plant sales and more. Miffy was in attendance for photos, story time and to greet children throughout the event.

Mets owner Steve Cohen hosts second community visioning session regarding development of area around Citi Field

Hundreds of community residents and leaders gathered at the Piazza Club inside Citi Field to participate in a visioning session regarding the development of a nearby 50-acre lot. This marked the second visioning session New York Mets owner Steve Cohen has hosted at Citi Field in January as he attempts to collect as much community feedback regarding the development as possible.

Attendees of the visioning session went to a series of interactive stations, sharing what mattered most to them when it came to improving the area around Citi Field, including preferred forms of year-round entertainment, ability to access different forms of transportation and attainable local jobs and training. Information and input was collected from the community in how they would like to see the lot utilized. A common theme among many of those who took part in the visioning session was the desire to see something built there that would bring a lot of economic opportunity to the community and provide year-round entertainment.

NewYork-Presbyterian Queens doctor aims to bring awareness to women’s heart health

With February marking the beginning of American Heart Month, a cardiologist from NewYork-Presbyterian Queens Hospital spoke with QNS about the importance of heart health for women.

According to attending cardiologist Dr. Joanna Troulakis, approximately 400,000 women die as a result of cardiovascular diseases each year in the United States. She noted that women have suffered more cardiovascular disease deaths than men in recent years. When it comes to heart attacks, the mortality rate for women is higher than men.

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.