You are reading

Bronx Man Indicted for Murder for Fatal Shooting Outside Kew Gardens Hotel

A 19-year-old Bronx man has been charged with murder for a fatal shooting that took place outside the now-shuttered Umbrella Hotel in Kew Gardens on Jan. 1, 2021 (Google Maps)

Oct. 27, 2021 By Christian Murray

A Bronx man who allegedly shot three men—one fatally—outside a Kew Gardens hotel in the early hours of Jan. 1 has been indicted on murder and attempted-murder charges, according to the Queens District Attorney’s office.

Richard Swgert, 19, allegedly killed a 20-year-old Rosedale man and injured two others after an argument broke out between two groups at a New Year’s Eve party at the now-shuttered Umbrella Hotel on 82nd Avenue and Queens Boulevard.

The shooting took place at around 1 a.m. and left Robert Williams dead and two other men requiring treatment at local hospitals.

“The defendant’s alleged actions led to the first homicide in New York City this year,” said Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz. “Senseless shooting have brought grief and heartache to far too many families in our neighborhoods.”

Swgert was arraigned Tuesday on a seven-count indictment charging him with murder in the second degree, two counts of attempted murder in the second degree, as well as weapons and assault-related charges.

He faces 25 years-to-life in prison if convicted and was ordered to return to court Nov. 29.

The Umbrella Hotel closed about a week after the fatal shooting. Elected officials and community leaders had been calling on City Hall to close it for months prior to the killing. There had been two shootings at the hotel in the six months leading up to the Jan. 1 murder as well as arrests pertaining to prostitution.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mets partner with mass mobility service company Rally to provide gameday shuttles for three upcoming games

Jul. 22, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The New York Mets and mass mobility service company Rally on July 19 announced a partnership to provide shuttle service to three upcoming Mets games from special locations or crowdsourced trips. This service will be available for the Saturday, July 27, game against the Atlanta Braves, the Saturday, Aug. 17, game against the Miami Marlins and the Saturday, Sept. 7, game against the Cincinnati Reds.

Queens Special Victims Squad joins search for alleged rapist in Downtown Flushing: NYPD

Detectives from the Queens Special Victims Squad have joined the urgent manhunt for the sexual predator who allegedly beat and raped a 53-year-old woman inside a commercial building in Downtown Flushing on the night of Sunday, July 14.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing responded to a 911 call after the victim was attacked at 11:06 p.m. inside the business in the vicinity of Prince Street and 40th Road near the Bland Houses NYCHA complex after the perpetrator punched her multiple times in the head before forcibly raping her, police said. The stranger then fled on foot in an unknown direction.

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.