You are reading

Brooklyn Man Dies After Crashing Revel Scooter in Rego Park

Woodhaven Boulevard near 67th Drive (Google Maps)

July 28, 2020 By Allie Griffin

A 32-year-old Brooklyn man died when he lost control of a Revel scooter in Rego Park early Tuesday morning. 

Jeremy Malave, of Cypress Hills, was driving one of the rental scooters northbound on Woodhaven Boulevard near 67th Drive around 3:15 a.m. when he ran into a light pole in the center median, police said. 

Responding officers found Malave lying on the roadway with severe head trauma. He was rushed to North Shore Forest Hills Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, according to police. 

Malave is reportedly the second person to die on a Revel scooter in New York City. 

Just 10 days ago, a local city reporter Nina Kapur was killed in a crash involving a Revel moped in Greenpoint. She was a passenger on one of the scooters driven by a 26-year-old man when the driver swerved, causing both to be thrown from the vehicle, police said. 

Kapur, 26, was taken to Bellevue Hospital, but didn’t survive. 

Two other incidents involving the rental scooters left riders critically injured in recent weeks. 

Less than 24 hours before Kapur’s fatal crash, a 38-year-old man was left in critical condition after driving a Revel scooter in Astoria. It’s unclear if he tumbled from the scooter or was struck by a hit-and-run vehicle, according to a report

Meanwhile, on Saturday, a 30-year-old Revel driver crashed into a pole in upper Manhattan, leaving him in critical condition with a head injury and his 32-year-old male passenger with an ankle injury. 

After the news of today’s fatality, Revel announced it would shut down its service in New York City until further notice. 

“We’re reviewing and strengthening our rider accountability and safety measures and communicating with city officials, and we look forward to serving you again in the near future,” the company posted on Twitter

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue