You are reading

Brooklyn Man Sentenced to 20 Year in Prison for Fatally Striking Corona Grandmother With a Rock

Guiying Ma pictured before the brutal Nov. 26 attack (GoFundMe)

Jan. 10, 2023 By Bill Parry

Brooklyn resident Elisaul Perez on Jan. 10 was sentenced to 20 years in prison for attacking 61-year-old GuiYing Ma as she swept a sidewalk in Corona on the day before Thanksgiving in 2021, fatally striking her twice in the head with a large rock, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

Perez, 33, of Blake Avenue in Brownsville, pleaded guilty last month to manslaughter in the first degree before Queens Supreme Court Justice Michael Yavinsky.

According to the charges, during the morning of Nov. 26, 2021, the victim was seen sweeping the sidewalk and street area in front of her friend’s home on 38th Avenue near 97th Street in Corona. At around 8 a.m., Perez was captured on video surveillance as he picked up a large rock and struck Ma in the head. After she fell to the ground, he bashed her in the head a second time.

EMS responded to the crime scene and rushed the victim to Elmhurst Hospital Center in critical condition, where she had stayed for 10 weeks following the brutal assault. She underwent emergency surgery and was treated for a right skull fracture, facial fractures and internal bleeding from her brain, among other injuries. She never recovered, and after a three-month hospitalization, she died from complications from her injuries on Feb. 22.

“While today’s sentence cannot make up for this heartbreaking and senseless loss of their loved one, I hope that it provides some measure of solace to the family of Ms. Ma,” Katz said. “The long sentence will hold the defendant to account for an unprovoked attack that robbed the community of a beloved member.”

Justice Yavinsky imposed a sentence of 20 years in prison to be followed by five years’ post-release supervision.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.

Man sought for raping 13-year-old girl in Flushing park in broad daylight Thursday: NYPD

An urgent manhunt is underway in Northeast Queens after a Hispanic man allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl at knifepoint in Kissena Corridor Park in broad daylight on Thursday afternoon.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing reported that the youngster was with a 13-year-old boy in the park near Kalmia Avenue and Colden Street at around 3:30 p.m. when a stranger approached and threatened them with a knife, forcing them both into a wooded section where he tied them up. The perpetrator proceeded to forcibly remove their cell phones before sexually assaulting the girl, police said, adding that he fled in an unknown direction.