You are reading

Candidate Knocked Out of the Queens Borough President Race After Special Election Cancelled

Jim Quinn (Jim Quinn for Queens campaign)

April 30, 2020 By Allie Griffin

One of the six candidates running for Queens Borough President has been knocked out of the race after Governor Andrew Cuomo cancelled the nonpartisan special election scheduled for June 23.

Cuomo called for the cancellation of the special election that would have determined who would be borough president until the end of the year.

Now Acting Borough President Sharon Lee will serve in that role for the rest of 2020.

Cuomo ordered that just the primary for the position scheduled for June 23 be held. This will be followed by a general election in November. The winner in the general election will take over the position on Jan. 1, 2021.

Former prosecutor Jim Quinn, the most conservative candidate of the bunch, will not appear on the ballot for the primary election because he didn’t file petitions along party lines for the primary election.

Quinn said the governor’s decision to cancel the special election disenfranchises Republicans, conservatives and independents, as only a Democratic primary is scheduled for June 23.

“Almost 8,000 voters signed petitions to get me on the ballot,” he said in a statement. “That has been wiped away by the governor’s action.”

On Friday, the governor signed an executive order cancelling the special election, which was first scheduled for March 24 and then moved to the same date as the primary election for the same position on June 23 because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Many leaders and groups said having both elections for the same position on the same day would create voter confusion.

The New York City Campaign Finance Board, the government watchdog group Common Cause/NY and several of the candidates called for the governor to cancel the primary election and have the winner of the special election serve as Queens borough president through the end of 2021.

Cuomo sided with the “Queens Democrat machine” in cancelling the nonpartisan special election, Quinn alleged.

Council Member Donovan Richards is the candidate the Queens County Democratic Party is backing.

“The Governor’s action is clearly designed to give the Democrat machine candidate the best chance of winning,” Quinn said. “It is crass political gamesmanship being disguised as a public safety move.”

Quinn said he is considering challenging the governor’s order in court.

“The people of Queens have waited long enough to elect their borough president and they must not be denied this right at the hands of a governor who is acting like an emperor.”

Another candidate, Flushing businessman Dao Yin, also criticized the governor’s decision.

“We all know that politics is a tough business, but I am nonetheless stunned that Governor Cuomo did the dirty work of the Queens Machine by issuing this surprise order in the dead of night and during this coronavirus pandemic,” said Aaron Foldenauer, Yin’s Campaign Manager.

The candidates who will appear on the primary ballot are Council Member Costa Constantinides, former Council Member Elizabeth Crowley, retired NYPD officer Anthony Miranda, Council Member Donovan Richards, and businessman Dao Yin.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue