You are reading

City Council Officially Recognizes ‘Common Sense’ Caucus of Moderate Council Members

Queens Council Member Robert Holden is one of the founding members of the Common Sense caucus (John McCarten)

Dec. 16, 2021 By Allie Griffin

A number of so-called “moderate” City Council members have officially created their own caucus just weeks before a new set of members are to be sworn in.

The City Council officially recognized the formation of the “Common Sense” caucus, which consists of a number of moderate Democrats and Republican council members.

The caucus was founded by Queens Council Member Robert Holden, a moderate Democrat, alongside Council Members Joe Borelli of Staten Island and Kalman Yeger of Brooklyn. It aims to provide a counterbalance to the Council’s progressive caucus.

Nine council members — including the three founders — are a part of the new caucus. Queens Council Members Peter Koo and Eric Ulrich, a Republican, are members along with Council Members Mark Gjonaj, Fernando Cabrera, Inna Vernikov and David Carr.

Four of the nine caucus members have only two weeks left in the City Council. Koo, Ulrich, Gjonaj and Cabrera will leave office at the end of the month. Gjonaj is retiring, while the others are term-limited.

However, Holden’s office told the Queens Post that they expect to see a net gain when the new council members are sworn in next month. Incoming Republican members like Queens Council Member-elect Joann Ariola are expected to join.

The goal of the Common Sense caucus is to address day-to-day issues affecting local communities.

“The New York City Council’s Common-Sense Caucus will prioritize quality of life issues to improve the everyday experience of living, working and raising families in New York City,” a description of the caucus states.

With the addition of the Common Sense caucus, the City Council now has seven caucuses. The other six are the progressive caucus; the Black, Asian and Latino caucus; the Irish caucus; the Jewish caucus; the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender caucus; and the women’s caucus.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue