You are reading

Civic Groups Call for NYPD to Retain Control of School Safety Officers, To Hold Rally Saturday

School safety agents Photo Credit: Rob Bennett/Mayoral Photography Office 2014

May 7, 2021 By Michael Dorgan

A number of local leaders are holding a rally in Kew Gardens Saturday calling on the city not to transfer the control of school safety officers from the NYPD to the Dept. of Education.

The rally, called “Keep Safety Agents in Schools,” will take place outside Queens Borough Hall, located at 120-55 Queens Blvd., on May 8 at 10:30 a.m.

The event is being organized by Donghui Zang — a candidate for city council District 29 — and the New York School Safety Coalition, which is comprised of parents and community leaders who support the presence of NYPD School Safety Agents (SSAs) in schools.

The New York chapter of the non-profit Chinese American Citizens Alliance is also listed as an organizer. Both groups have held similar rallies in Manhattan and the Bronx over the last few weeks.

Zang said that the city’s 5,000 SSAs keep public schools safe and they should be kept as a division of the NYPD.

The mayor said last year that the DOE would take control of the safety agents by June 2022. The DOE had run the Division of School Safety until the NYPD took it over in 1998 in an effort to overhaul the system.

However, Zang said that the move will backfire by making schools more vulnerable and putting students in harm’s way.

“It makes no sense as the agents are there to stop people who want to come on to campus and do bad things,” Zang said. “The agents are there to protect students and are part of the big school family like someone’s aunt or uncle.”

Zang said the rally is being held to remind people of the important work the NYPD does at schools to bolster security. For example, agents confiscate thousands of knives as well as other weapons every year, he argues, citing a New York Post study on NYPD data.

The DOE, Zang said, is not capable of properly overseeing school security whereas the NYPD has a proven track record of doing so.

Donghui Zang at a rally in Manhattan calling for SSAs to continue being part of the NYPD April (Photo provided by Donghui Zang)

“The DOE is responsible for education and it doesn’t do a good job of it. The DOE cannot be trusted to be in charge of the school security system,” Zang said.

Zang said that the organizers of the rally support the NYPD. He said that the important work SSA agents are doing in schools is being drowned out by those who are critical of law enforcement and are part of the “defund the police” movement.

He added that SSAs are not like regular police since they are unarmed.

The rally on Saturday, Zang said, comes weeks before local primary elections where many candidates have backed the transfer of school security from the NYPD to the DOE.

Zang, who is running for city council to represent Rego Park, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens and Richmond Hill, said that it is imperative that the next city council and new mayor keep the NYPD in schools.

“We need common-sense candidates to be elected who will demand that the NYPD remains in our schools.”

A poster for the “Keep School Safety Agents in Schools” rally to be held Saturday. (Facebook)

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Flushing man indicted in fatal collision that killed 10-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month: DA

A Flushing man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in a fatal collision that killed an 8-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month.

Jose Barcia, 52, is accused of speeding through a crosswalk while making a left turn, killing Bayron Palomino Arroyo and injuring his 10-year-old brother Bradley on Mar. 13. The grand jury indictment was filed on Apr. 18, and Barcia will be arraigned on May 2, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metropolitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.