You are reading

Community Boards Meetings Must Now be In-Person, Gov. Hochul Lifts COVID-19 Emergency Powers

A Community Board 1 meeting at the Astoria World Manor held pre-pandemic (Photo: Queens Post)

Sept. 19, 2022 By Christian Murray

Community boards throughout New York City will now have to meet in person.

Gov. Kathy Hochul lifted the state’s emergency powers related to the COVID-19 pandemic last week and the change means that all city agencies—including community boards—must hold their meetings in person.

The change will mean that all board meetings–including committee meetings– will no longer be able to be held strictly online. However, several boards in Queens plan to incorporate technology as part of the meetings, where the public can participate online through Zoom, or at least view them live through YouTube.

The boards in Queens are currently working with the Queens Borough President’s office in making the transition back to in-person meetings, with the aim of incorporating technology.

“We’ve been in touch with community boards regarding the expiration of the governor’s emergency order and are offering them assistance to help them resume their in-person meetings,” said a spokesperson for Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Jr. “We expect the boards will continue the practices developed during the pandemic that promote access and transparency, like livestreaming meetings and allowing remote participation by members of the public.”

Many boards have not met in person since the outbreak of COVID-19 in March 2020.

Community Board 1, which covers Astoria, had initially planned to hold its monthly meeting—scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 20—via Zoom.

However, with the lifting of the emergency order, Community Board 1 district manager Florence Koulouris said that the board quickly notified the public that it would be in held person at the Astoria World Manor, located at 25-22 Astoria Blvd.

The meeting will be screened live on YouTube, Koulouris said. She said that Community Board 1 also plans to screen all its in-person committee meetings on YouTube.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue