You are reading

Constantinides Calls to Open Queens Public Golf Courses for Social Distancing

Clearview Park Golf Course (Facebook)

May 12, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Council Member Costa Constantinides wants the public golf courses in Queens to be opened up to pedestrians so there is more room for social distancing.

Constantinides said that the open space at the golf courses would provide additional room for people to go outside and get fresh air while staying at least six feet away from one another.

Many public parks have been overcrowded in recent weeks due to the lack of open space. The Parks Enforcement Patrol (PEP) officers and NYPD have been deployed to control overcrowding at places like Astoria Park.

On Friday, the city announced its plans to restrict the number of people allowed in some parks to alleviate overcrowding.

The borough’s four public golf courses have been closed since March 22 as part of the statewide shutdown to stop the spread of COVID-19.

Council Member Costa Constantinides (Photo: CM Constantinides)

Constantinides believes the golf courses can instead be used as a creative way to unlock “pedestrian green space,” especially as the coronavirus pandemic continues into warmer months and more people will look to go outdoors.

“Golf courses throughout Queens are sitting dormant right now, which only deprives people of vast open space,” Constantinides said Monday.

“It’s on us to find those solutions so our 2.3 million residents remain healthy, and the curve flattens, as the weather gets nicer,” he said.

The borough’s four public golf courses are predominantly in Eastern Queens. There is the Clearview Park Golf Course; Douglaston Golf Course; Forest Park Golf Course; and Kissena Golf Course.

The city has already announced that 100 miles of New York City streets will be closed to vehicles and turned over to pedestrians in the coming months. The city wants the streets opened up to create extra space for pedestrians to socially distance safely.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Flushing man indicted in fatal collision that killed 10-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month: DA

A Flushing man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in a fatal collision that killed an 8-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month.

Jose Barcia, 52, is accused of speeding through a crosswalk while making a left turn, killing Bayron Palomino Arroyo and injuring his 10-year-old brother Bradley on Mar. 13. The grand jury indictment was filed on Apr. 18, and Barcia will be arraigned on May 2, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metropolitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.