You are reading

Corona Man Gets 2 1/2 Years in Prison For Driving Drunk and Hitting Senior in Whitestone

IStock

Nov. 21, 2018 By Christian Murray

A hit-and-run driver who sped through a stop sign and struck a 71-year-old pedestrian while drunk in Whitestone  last year has been sentenced to 2 ½ years in prison.

Carmine Minichino, 53, of Corona, was sentenced yesterday after pleading guilty to a slew of crimes in June stemming from a hit-and-run crash that took place at around 6:45 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 23, 2017.

Minichino, who was driving a 2009 white Chevy van with a suspended license, went through a stop sign while speeding and struck Paul Sim who was crossing the street at the intersection of 17th Road and Murray Street. He left the scene of the crash and abandoned his van a short distance away and then fled the vehicle on foot.

He later returned to the car with keys in hand and police caught him with a moderate odor of alcohol on his breath and bloodshot eyes. The police administered an intoxilyzer exam and he had an alcohol level nearly twice the legal limit.

Sim was taken to a local hospital with a compound fracture to the right leg and bleeding on the brain, which required multiple surgeries.

Minichino pleaded guilty to second-degree assault, leaving the scene of an incident without reporting serious physical injury, operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs and failing to stop for a stop sign.

Minichino, upon completing his sentence, will be subject to two years’ post release supervision. He was also ordered to pay a $1,400 fine.

“Driving isn’t just a privilege, it’s a responsibility,” said District Attorney Richard A. Brown in a statement. “Those who get behind the wheel of a car are entrusted to obey posted traffic sings and be sober at all times.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com

4 Comments

Click for Comments 
Eileen Bennett

Yes that is right, no jail time. The judge spoke to me after and he told me there was nothing else by law that he could do and he was in tears as he was speaking. I was hoping times had changed during the last almost 30 yrs. My son’s killing was also a hit and run. The police were able to find him.

Reply
Eileen Bennett

Well at least he got something. My 28 year old son was killed by a drunk driver many yrs. ago and did no jail time. Suspended license and nothing else. Presumably he went on to live his life.

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mets partner with mass mobility service company Rally to provide gameday shuttles for three upcoming games

Jul. 22, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The New York Mets and mass mobility service company Rally on July 19 announced a partnership to provide shuttle service to three upcoming Mets games from special locations or crowdsourced trips. This service will be available for the Saturday, July 27, game against the Atlanta Braves, the Saturday, Aug. 17, game against the Miami Marlins and the Saturday, Sept. 7, game against the Cincinnati Reds.

Queens Special Victims Squad joins search for alleged rapist in Downtown Flushing: NYPD

Detectives from the Queens Special Victims Squad have joined the urgent manhunt for the sexual predator who allegedly beat and raped a 53-year-old woman inside a commercial building in Downtown Flushing on the night of Sunday, July 14.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing responded to a 911 call after the victim was attacked at 11:06 p.m. inside the business in the vicinity of Prince Street and 40th Road near the Bland Houses NYCHA complex after the perpetrator punched her multiple times in the head before forcibly raping her, police said. The stranger then fled on foot in an unknown direction.

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.