You are reading

COVID-19 Has Killed More Than 250 Queens Residents

NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo at today’s press conference

March 30, 2020 By Allie Griffin

The novel coronavirus has killed 256 Queens residents since the pandemic began and more than 1,218 residents across New York state, according to the latest data.

Statewide, more than 250 New Yorkers died overnight and the number of COVID-19 cases grew to 66,497, Governor Andrew Cuomo said at a press briefing today.

“That’s a lot of loss, that’s a lot of pain, that’s a lot of tears, that’s a lot of grief that people all across the state are feeling,” Cuomo said.

The virus took the lives of three Queens residents overnight — compared to the nearly 50 residents who died in one night from Friday to Saturday due to COVID-19 complications.

In total, 256 Queens residents have died of coronavirus and 11,868 residents have contracted the disease, as of 10:30 a.m. this morning, according to City Department of Health data.

The World’s Borough continues to be the worst hit by the coronavirus pandemic. Across the five boroughs, there are now 36,221 cases and 790 deaths.

Cuomo continues to take steps to stop the spread. He announced Sunday that the he is extending his order that mandates nonessential workers to say home another two weeks through April 15.

President Donald Trump also said yesterday that he is extending the national social distancing guidelines through April 30 — backtracking his earlier remarks that people would be going back to work by Easter.

The goal of the measures is to slow the spread of the virus, so that it doesn’t overwhelm the healthcare system — but New York City hospitals are already facing unprecedented challenges.

The City’s 911 system has been overwhelmed by callers with coronavirus symptoms. Typically, the number receives about 4,000 calls a day, but last Thursday, the line got more than 7,000 — a number not seen since the 9/11 attacks.

The record for amount of calls in one day was broken three times in the last week, according to the New York Times.

The virus is also putting a strain on the NYPD, who have been tasked with enforce social distancing measures on New York City streets and parks.

Nearly 5,000 officers — or about 14 percent of the NYPD force — were out sick Sunday and Police Commissioner Dermot Shea said the number of officers with confirmed cases of COVID-19 could likely jump to 900 Monday, according to the New York Post.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Five Queens startups win $20,000 each in 2024 Tech + Innovation Challenge

May. 19, 2024 By Czarinna Andres

A diverse range of businesses, including a yoga studio, an olive oil distributor, a female health care provider, a sustainable mushroom farmer, and an AI-powered physical therapy service, have been named winners of the 2024 Queens Tech + Innovation Challenge (QTIC). Each winner will receive a $20,000 grant to support their business operations.

QBP Richards, advocates rally to demand Mayor Adams restore funding to City’s libraries

May. 17, 2024 By Gabriele Holtermann

A rally was held at the Queens Public Library at Forest Hills on May 16, during which Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, Queens Public Library President and CEO Dennis Walcott, union reps and library advocates called on Mayor Eric Adams to reverse the proposed $58.3 million budget cuts to the New York Public Library (NYPL), the Brooklyn Public Library (BPL), and the Queens Public Library (QBL) for Fiscal Year 2025, which begins on July 1, 2024.

Queens elected officials secure $70 million from New York State Budget for school safety equipment in religious and independent schools

May. 17, 2024 By Anthony Medina

Religious and independent schools throughout the city will soon receive additional funding for school safety equipment, thanks to Assemblymember Andrew Hevesi and State Senator Michael Gianaris, who, after extensive advocacy efforts, successfully secured $70 million from the New York State Budget for 2024-25 for Non-Public School Safety Equipment (NPSE) grants.