You are reading

COVID Cases Rising Among New Yorkers in Their 20s: Mayor

COVID-19 (CDC via Unsplash)

July 13, 2020 By Allie Griffin

COVID-19 cases are on the rise among young adults in New York City, Mayor Bill de Blasio said today.

The rate of coronavirus cases among New Yorkers aged 20 to 29 spiked from less than 30 cases per 100,000 people on June 13 to a number nearing 40 per 100,000 on June 27, according to a graphic de Blasio displayed during his daily briefing Monday.

The rate of cases among New Yorkers aged 30 to 39 also increased slightly last month, the graphic showed.

“Even though we have overall seen a huge reduction in the presence of the coronavirus in this city, we do see one trend that’s worrisome,” de Blasio said, referring to the increased rate among young adults.

The data was unveiled just days after New York City saw no new COVID-19 deaths in a 24-hour period on Saturday — for the first time since March 13.

“24 hours where no one died — let’s have many more days like that,” De Blasio said today.

He called the news “striking and so moving,” but was cautious to celebrate as coronavirus infections are skyrocketing in other states.

New York City reported zero confirmed coronavirus deaths on Saturday and just one on Sunday, according to City Health Department data.

However, there were three probable deaths linked to COVID-19 on Saturday and one probable death on Sunday, the data shows. The city defines “probable deaths” as people whose cause of death was determined to be coronavirus despite never testing positive or getting tested at all for the virus when alive.

The mayor said the city will “double down” on its effort to reach and educate younger adults on the deadly virus.

The city will create digital media campaigns, utilize messaging from influencers and perform outreach at popular outdoor spots across the five boroughs to target the age group.

“We’re going to do everything to reach younger adults, to remind them they’re not impervious,” he said. “Everyone is susceptible to this disease and of course, everyone could unfortunately spread it to someone else they love.”

De Blasio also further enforced face covering guidance Monday as more and more people return to work. He said face coverings should be worn as much as possible.

(City Hall presentation)

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Corona man convicted of murder-for-hire in fatal shooting outside a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019: Feds

A Corona hitman was found guilty of killing a man outside a Flushing karaoke bar in exchange for a $100,000 wristwatch in 2019.

Antony Abreu, 36, was convicted by a federal jury on Tuesday on both counts on an indictment charging him with murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy in connection to the fatal shooting of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu at the Grand Slam KTV on Fowler Avenue on Feb. 12, 2019.

Flushing man indicted in fatal collision that killed 10-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month: DA

A Flushing man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in a fatal collision that killed an 8-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month.

Jose Barcia, 52, is accused of speeding through a crosswalk while making a left turn, killing Bayron Palomino Arroyo and injuring his 10-year-old brother Bradley on Mar. 13. The grand jury indictment was filed on Apr. 18, and Barcia will be arraigned on May 2, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.