You are reading

Cuomo Signs Bill to Install an Additional 600 Speed Cameras in School Zones

Governor Andrew Cuomo signs the bill into law. (Kevin P. Coughlin/Office of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo)

May 13, 2019 By Laura Hanrahan

Governor Andrew Cuomo signed into law Sunday a bill that will bring about a major expansion of the city’s speed camera network in school zones across the five boroughs.

The legislation, passed by the State Senate and Assembly in March, is an extension of a previously passed 2013 bill that authorized a five-year pilot program of 140 speed cameras in school zones throughout the city.

The new law makes provision for an additional 610 cameras, taking the total to 750, enough to cover nearly every public school in New York City. The cameras will operate on weekdays from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.

“Something as simple as walking to and from school can be the most dangerous part of the day, especially in this city with this complexity and this density,” said Cuomo. “We have learned it the hard way. We have lost too many people, especially too many young people. We have to do better and we can do better.”

The 2013 bill expired in July of last year after the then Republican-held State Senate failed to pass a reauthorization. With no bill renewal, the cameras were turned off. Just one month later, however, Cuomo issued an executive order to turn the cameras back on for the 2018/2019 school year, declaring road conditions near schools to be too dangerous without them.

State lawmakers hope that the new bill will allow the city to build on the success of the pilot program. During the first five-years, the Department of Transportation found a 60 percent drop in speeding infractions in school zones where the cameras had been installed, as well as a 21 percent decline in the number of people killed or severely injured in crashes in the zones.

“The speed camera program in New York City has proved to be a lifesaver – reducing speeding, distracted driving and dangerous accidents in school zones,” Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie said yesterday. “I am glad that we are finally reinstating and expanding this program, making the streets are a safer place for our all of our students, parents, school staff and pedestrians.”

Amy Cohen, founding member of Families for Safe Streets, spoke to the importance of the bill at the signing. Cohen, who lost her 12-year-old son Sammy after he was hit by a car, called the bill the best Mother’s Day gift ever.

“We are protecting the next generation of children, creating a safe passage to school,” Cohen said. “Changing the culture of reckless driving so that other mothers will get to raise their children. So that other children can grow into adults themselves.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Flushing man indicted in fatal collision that killed 10-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month: DA

A Flushing man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in a fatal collision that killed an 8-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month.

Jose Barcia, 52, is accused of speeding through a crosswalk while making a left turn, killing Bayron Palomino Arroyo and injuring his 10-year-old brother Bradley on Mar. 13. The grand jury indictment was filed on Apr. 18, and Barcia will be arraigned on May 2, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metropolitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.