You are reading

De Blasio Suspends Uber, Lyft Ride-Sharing

Photo: Stock Unsplash

March 18, 2020 By Christian Murray

Forget about the inexpensive Uber ride-share option.

Mayor Bill de Blasio announced yesterday that he has signed an executive order than bans shared rides in an effort to promote social distancing.

“We want to protect drivers and we want to protect riders alike,” the Mayor said during a press conference Tuesday. “The Executive Order will ban ride shares and pooling of customers. This has been done in agreement with major for-hire companies such as Uber, Lyft and Via.”

Customers will still be able to get individual rides through the apps but the ride share options are no longer permitted.

“The rule will be one individual customer per vehicle,” the mayor said, unless the individual is accompanied by a partner or family member.

Uber and Lyft announced yesterday that they had suspended their shared ride options throughout North America.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metropolitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.