You are reading

Elizabeth Crowley is Back, Officially Launches Second Bid for Queens BP

Elizabeth Crowley (Elizabeth Crowley via Facebook)

April 14, 2021 By Allie Griffin

Former Council Member Elizabeth Crowley officially announced Wednesday that she is running for Queens Borough President once again.

Crowley, who was surrounded by well-wishers, made the announcement at an event held on the steps of the Flushing Library Wednesday.

“Our borough was facing crises on many fronts even prior to the pandemic,” she said. “The status quo isn’t enough. I will fight for the families of Queens. I have the experience to do so.”

Crowley, who represented the 30th Council District from 2009 to 2017, ran for the position last year to replace outgoing Queens Borough President Melinda Katz. Katz left to become Queens district attorney.

The Glendale resident came in second in the June Democratic primary to Donovan Richards, who went on to secure the borough president seat in the November general election.

Richards won the right to hold office until the end of the year—completing what would have been Katz’ term. He is not vying for a full term and is facing Crowley and Council Member Jimmy Van Bramer in a primary on June 22.

Crowley announced Wednesday that her top priorities as borough president would be to fight for a recovery plan that prioritizes the needs of working families and small businesses. She said she would also work to provide rental assistance for tenants, many of whom have struggled throughout the pandemic.

She said she would work to secure resources to prevent hate crimes in Queens — especially those against Asian Americans.

Crowley also said she would protect and expand the gifted and talented program at public schools and fight for smaller class sizes. She pledged to expand public transit, including free busing throughout the borough.

“I have lived my entire life in Queens, and I raised a family here as a single parent,” she said. “I know all of the neighborhoods in Queens, and I have always put the needs of Queens’ families first.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Larry Penner

When it comes to “expanding public transportation” the track record of former NYC Council member and Queens Boro President wanna-a-be Elizabeth Crowley is poor.
Consider her favorite pet project for introduction of light rail on the Lower Montauk LIRR branch. She has failed to convince either the MTA or NYCDOT to step forward to advance this $2.2 billion project since completion of a feasibility study four years ago.
If Crowley continues to make promises which will never be fulfilled in our life time, what kind of Borough President she would make. Voters looking for down to earth transportation improvements which will be competed in our lifetime need to consider looking elsewhere for a better advocate as the next Queens Borough President. Having served as a NYC Council member from 2009 to 2017, perhaps she is just another career politician looking to get back on the public payroll..
(Larry Penner — transportation advocate, historian and writer who previously worked for the Federal Transit Administration Region 2 New York Office. This included the development, review, approval and oversight for billions in capital projects and programs for the MTA, NYC DOT along with 30 other transit agencies in NY & NJ).

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.

Man sought for raping 13-year-old girl in Flushing park in broad daylight Thursday: NYPD

An urgent manhunt is underway in Northeast Queens after a Hispanic man allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl at knifepoint in Kissena Corridor Park in broad daylight on Thursday afternoon.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing reported that the youngster was with a 13-year-old boy in the park near Kalmia Avenue and Colden Street at around 3:30 p.m. when a stranger approached and threatened them with a knife, forcing them both into a wooded section where he tied them up. The perpetrator proceeded to forcibly remove their cell phones before sexually assaulting the girl, police said, adding that he fled in an unknown direction.