You are reading

Flushing Firehouse Forced to Close After Firefighter Diagnosed With Scabies

Jan. 5, 2019 By Meghan Sackman

A firehouse in Flushing has been forced to close temporarily due to a firefighter being diagnosed with scabies.

Engine House 320, located on Francis Lewis Boulevard near 37th Avenue, was closed Thursday evening in order for authorities to disinfect the station and prevent the spread of the parasite, FDNY said.

Scabies, burrowing mites that lay eggs in the skin and cause an itchy rash, can be spread through skin on skin contact or through the use of contaminated items like towels or clothes.

The FDNY told the Flushing Post that while only one firefighter contracted the parasite, an outside contractor has been hired to disinfect not only the firehouse but all of the firefighters’ protective gear as well.

Firefighters who have been in contact with the station house over the past six weeks have been given a special cream to proactively apply. This represents about 100 FDNY workers, according to reports.

Over the next few days, firefighters will not be responding from the engine house that is located in the Auburndale section of Flushing. They have been relocated to nearby firehouses and will be responding from there, FDNY says.

The infected firefighter has been evaluated and is currently being treated with topical medication.

The FDNY aims to reopen the firehouse early next week. However, the FDNY said it does not want to rush the decontamination process.

“We want to be proactive and get the job done right and not worry about a timeline,” an FDNY spokesperson said.

Currently, there have been no other confirmed cases of the infection.

UPDATE:

A second fire house in eastern Queens has closed for scabies decontamination.

Engine House 251, located on Union Turnpike near 255th Street in Glen Oaks, was closed Friday afternoon to make way for cleaning crews, the department said. There are no details as to when it will reopen.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue