You are reading

Flushing Man Bilks Jackson Heights Apartment Seekers Out of Thousands

iStock

June 1, 2021 By Christian Murray

A Flushing con-man who posed as a real estate agent pleaded guilty last week to grand larceny charges for stealing more than $50,000 from apartment seekers, according to the Queens District Attorney’s office.

Cesar Fernandez-Loor, 38, advertised apartments for rent in Jackson Heights and then required his victims to fork over a deposit in order to move in. Many of his victims, immigrants living in the area, paid a deposit yet never heard from him again.

“The victims were looking for a place to call home,” said Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz. “Sadly, they crossed paths with a con artist determined to enrich himself at their expense.”

Katz said that Fernandez-Loor will be required to pay his victims back, or he will face prison time of 2 1/3 to 7 years. More than a dozen people were bilked by the scam.

Fernandez-Loor, according to court records, advertised the apartments and then scheduled appointments to meet in person.

He presented himself as a real estate agent for ACT Realty Corp., a Jackson Heights firm, and then showed the apartments—before requiring his victims to pay a security deposit. He defrauded multiple victims, with them turning over between $1,300 and $7,000 each in the belief that they had secured a place to live.

None of the would-be renters were able to move in and he cut off all communication with many of them. He did write refund checks to some of the victims, which bounced.

The scam took place between December 2017 and February 2020, according to Katz.

Investigators were made aware of the scam following a news story by Univision Channel 41 highlight complaints from victims, which mentioned ACT Realty.

 

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Queens Special Victims Squad joins search for alleged rapist in Downtown Flushing: NYPD

Detectives from the Queens Special Victims Squad have joined the urgent manhunt for the sexual predator who allegedly beat and raped a 53-year-old woman inside a commercial building in Downtown Flushing on the night of Sunday, July 14.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing responded to a 911 call after the victim was attacked at 11:06 p.m. inside the business in the vicinity of Prince Street and 40th Road near the Bland Houses NYCHA complex after the perpetrator punched her multiple times in the head before forcibly raping her, police said. The stranger then fled on foot in an unknown direction.

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.