You are reading

Forest Hills Concert Raises Enough Money to Help Charity Feed Nearly 2.5 Million New Yorkers

Nas performing at the Concert to Feed NYC on Sept. 23 at Forest Hills Stadium (Courtesy of City Harvest)

Sept. 27, 2021 By Allie Griffin

A Forest Hills concert featuring hip hop artists Nas and DJ Cassidy last week raised enough money to help a local charity feed nearly 2.5 million New Yorkers for a day.

All proceeds from the ‘Concert to Feed NYC’ on Sept. 23 at Forest Hills Stadium were donated to City Harvest, the city’s largest food rescue organization.

The concert was headlined by the Grammy-winning performer and former Queens resident Nas following the release of his chart-topping album King’s Disease II.

Native New Yorker and record producer DJ Cassidy kicked off the concert with an hour-long set celebrating New York.

The fundraising concert was hosted at a time when many New York City families are struggling to put food on the table.

The number of New Yorkers lacking food surged across the city during the pandemic.

More than 1.5 million New Yorkers now experience food insecurity — a 38 percent increase over pre-pandemic figures. Furthermore, 1 in 3 children in NYC are now food insecure, according to City Harvest.

The concert was held to support City Harvest’s efforts to ensure that no New Yorker has to worry about where his or her next meal is coming from. The proceeds will help the organization deliver nutritious food during a time of historic food insecurity.

“We are grateful to our longtime friend Nas and to DJ Cassidy for partnering with City Harvest to raise enough funds to help us feed nearly 2.5M New Yorkers struggling to put meals on their tables due to the pandemic,” Jilly Stephens, CEO of City Harvest, said in a statement. “At a moment when food insecurity rates continue to be at record highs throughout our city, we are proud to partner with them to bring fresh, nutritious food to thousands of families across the five boroughs.”

Nas, who was raised in the Queensbridge Houses, was also awarded an official Key to the Borough.

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards honored the recording artist and 10 frontline City Harvest workers after the concert.

Richards also officially made Sept. 23, 2021 “Nas Day” in the borough.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.

Man sought for raping 13-year-old girl in Flushing park in broad daylight Thursday: NYPD

An urgent manhunt is underway in Northeast Queens after a Hispanic man allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl at knifepoint in Kissena Corridor Park in broad daylight on Thursday afternoon.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing reported that the youngster was with a 13-year-old boy in the park near Kalmia Avenue and Colden Street at around 3:30 p.m. when a stranger approached and threatened them with a knife, forcing them both into a wooded section where he tied them up. The perpetrator proceeded to forcibly remove their cell phones before sexually assaulting the girl, police said, adding that he fled in an unknown direction.