You are reading

Fundraiser for Three Men Who Spent 24 Years Behind Bars After Being Wrongfully Convicted Reaches Over $40k

Left to Right: Rohan Bolt, George Bell and Gary Johnson Release from Green Haven Correctional Facility earlier this month. Photo Credit: Klaus Enrique

March 24, 2021 By Christina Santucci

A fundraiser set up to help three men who were wrongfully convicted of a 1996 double homicide and spent 24 years behind bars has raised more than $40,000.

The funds are being distributed among George Bell, Rohan Bolt and Gary Johnson who had been wrongfully convicted of killing Ira “Mike” Epstein and NYPD Officer Charles Davis during a botched robbery in Astoria on Dec. 21, 1996.

A Queens Supreme Court judge vacated their convictions on March 5, and Bell, Bolt and Johnson were later released from prison.

A GoFundMe was launched shortly after their release with the goal of raising $100,000.

The men were released after Judge Joseph Zayas found that the Queens District Attorney’s office and case prosecutors in the 1990s had deliberately withheld key information in the case that raised doubt as to their guilt.

The judge later filed his 29-page decision, which called the actions of one of the case’s prosecutors – Charles Testagrossa – “mind boggling.”

Judge Zayas wrote that, “Under no circumstances could the prosecutors in these cases have reasonably believed” that information pointing to other suspects did not have to be disclosed to attorneys for Bell, Bolt and Johnson.

“The Court, moreover, agrees with the parties that there is, at the very least, a reasonable possibility that, had this suppressed evidence been disclosed, the outcome of these trials would have been different,” Judge Zayas wrote.

Several days after the convictions were vacated, Testagrossa resigned from his job as the Nassau County District Attorney’s executive of the investigations division.

The other case prosecutor – Brad Leventhal – will no longer teach a class on evidence practice at St. John’s University Law School, the Queens Daily Eagle reported. Leventhal is the Homicide Bureau Chief at the Queens District Attorney’s office.

Meanwhile, Bell, Bolt and Johnson are doing well since their release, a member of Bell’s legal team said.

Anna Schwarz from the law firm Wachtell, Lipton Rosen & Katz has posted several updates about Bell, Bolt and Johnson on the GoFundMe.

“[Johnson] is spending today with his family, at a long awaited basketball watching party. He has been learning how to use FaceTime, and is already using it to talk to his mom,” she wrote.

Bell enjoyed his first Sunday at home with his loved ones, and Bolt spent time with his grandchildren.

“I wake up knowing there’s a burden lifted off of my shoulders,” Bell told CBS. “And it’s a beautiful feeling. And I know that it’s gonna be greater every day.”

On the fundraiser page, several people who had donated money penned messages wishing the men well. “My heart rejoices in their release,” one person said.

“They are humbled by the response they have received so far – but it isn’t over,” Schwarz wrote on the site.

Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz has until June to decide whether she will retry Bell, Bolt and Johnson. A spokesperson for the DA’s office said earlier this week that the matter is being re-investigated and her decision would come following the conclusion of that investigation.

The men are scheduled to appear in court June 4.

email the author: [email protected]
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

BP launches new advisory panel for youth to become civically engaged in the future of Queens

In an effort to get more young people involved in civics, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards has created a new advisory panel known as the Youth and Young Adult Council to introduce the “youngest and fiercest” community advocates to both community service and organization.

Members of the advisory body will advocate concerns through means of community engagement by participating in one of two cohorts. The first will be made up of high school representatives between the ages of 13 and 17, while the second cohort will be comprised of young adults between the ages of 18 and 25.

‘Where do we go now?’ Michaels set to close its doors in Fresh Meadows next month

The Michaels located at 187-04 Horace Harding Expwy. in Fresh Meadows will be permanently closing its doors on Feb. 23. The announcement that Michaels will be leaving the Fresh Meadows Shopping Center has led to an outpouring of reactions from many community members.

“We know this is disappointing to our customers in Queens, but we hope to continue to serve them at our other locations in New York City or online at Michaels.com,” a spokesperson for Michaels said in a statement to Patch.com.

Queens senator holds Lunar New Year celebration at Tangram in Flushing

Hundreds of revelers joined state Senator John Liu for a Lunar New Year celebration Friday night at Tangram in Downtown Flushing. The event featured free food from 25 local restaurants, as well as musical and cultural performances and giveaways.

Liu was joined at the event by several local leaders, including Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz, Assemblyman Edward Braunstein, Councilwomen Sandra Ung and Linda Lee and many more. Many of the leaders spoke about the importance of this celebration to the Queens community as they celebrated the start of the Year of the Rabbit.

These Queens eateries are participating in the upcoming NYC Restaurant Week

NYC Restaurant Week is underway, so nix that skillet and bring family and friends to your favorite neighborhood spot, or get inspired and break bread somewhere new and different. During this special citywide culinary event, food-lovers will enjoy curated menus and prix-fixe prices that are easy on the wallet.

Bookings began on Jan. 17 and are available until Feb. 12, and you can reserve a table at 30 participating Queens restaurants, along with hundreds more across the five boroughs.

Flushing BID launches free online raffle to support local businesses in the community

The Flushing Business Improvement District (BID), on Friday, Jan. 20, announced the launch of Lucky7, a free online raffle to celebrate the Lunar New Year, promote local businesses, and bring shoppers from other regions to downtown Flushing. 

“This event is to celebrate the culture in Downtown Flushing. The food culture, shopping culture, but most importantly to celebrate the Lunar New Year culture in Downtown Flushing,” said Dian Yu, executive director of the Flushing BID. “This is a unique opportunity for people not familiar with Downtown Flushing to truly experience the food and fun that’s only available in Flushing.”

Queens lawmaker reintroduces legislation to make Lunar New Year a federal holiday

As the Asian American community prepares to begin celebrating Lunar New Year on Sunday, Jan. 22, Queens Congresswoman Grace Meng on Friday reintroduced a package of legislation to commemorate the holiday. 

Meng’s legislative Lunar New Year package includes the Lunar New Year Day Act, which would establish Lunar New Year as the 12th federal holiday recognized across the United States. It also includes a resolution, “Recognizing the cultural and historical significance of Lunar New Year,” that commemorates the long history and explains the cultural importance of the holiday. 

Lunar New Year ‘special celebration’ held at Queensborough Community College in Bayside

Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz joined Councilwomen Sandra Ung and Linda Lee on Wednesday, Jan. 18, for a special celebration in honor of the Lunar New Year at the Student Union Building at Queensborough Community College in Bayside.

Ung escaped the Cambodian genocide as a child, and her family emigrated to the United States when she was 7 years old. Now she represents Flushing with its enormous Asian American population. She said she is proud to see how many Lunar New Year celebrations she sees around the city compared to when she first arrived in Queens.

BP Richards, local leaders speak with small business owners in Flushing in effort to improve the neighborhood

Queens Borough President Donovan Richards joined several Queens leaders Wednesday morning for a walking tour through Flushing to get input from the community on how to improve the neighborhood.

The Jan. 18 tour comes in the wake of public safety concerns in downtown Flushing. While crime was a main concern among the business owners Richards spoke with Wednesday, there were other areas they wished to see improvements in across the area, including traffic and sanitation issues.