You are reading

Hoax Bomber Charged With Making Terrorist Threat, Faces Up to 7 Years in Prison: DA

Police outside the Queens Place Mall Monday (Citizen)

Jan. 6, 2021 Christian Murray

A right-wing extremist who allegedly planted a fake bomb on top of a car at the Queens Place Mall Monday has been charged with making terrorist threats and faces up to 7 years in prison.

Louis Shenker, a 22-year-old man from Massachusetts, was arraigned Wednesday before a Queens Criminal Court Judge on charges of placing a false bomb in an enclosed mall and making a terrorist threat.

“Sadly, we live in a world where terror attacks are far too real,” said Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz in a statement. “Fake bombs and hoaxes of any kind create panic and fear. We take all potential threats seriously.”

The hoax explosive device found on a vehicle at the Queens Place Mall in Elmhurst (Photo: NYPD)

Shenker is alleged to have left a vehicle inside the garage at the Queens Place Mall that had a gas tank and wires attached, giving the appearance of a bomb. The car, a black Tesla, was also covered in blankets, cardboard boxes, a Black Lives Matter sign and there was a dog inside.

According to the Queens DA, Shenker was observed by police earlier that morning standing next to the Tesla that had stalled on the parking garage ramp. A police officer saw him at 4:50 a.m. with a second man– who has yet to be apprehended–trying to charge the vehicle with an electric bike.

The officer inspected Shenker’s driver’s license and a California ID belonging to an alleged accomplice. He observed blankets, clothing, a dog and a Black Lives Matter sign.

Shenker told the officer that he had called a tow company.

The vehicle was discovered hours later by an employee of the Queens Place Mall who reported it to police at around 7:35 a.m.

After evacuating the mall and analyzing the device, the NYPD determined at around 9:35 a.m. that it was a fake.

Shenker later turned himself into police at a Brooklyn precinct at 3 a.m. Tuesday. He is currently being held without bail and has been ordered to return to court Jan. 7.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Queens Special Victims Squad joins search for alleged rapist in Downtown Flushing: NYPD

Detectives from the Queens Special Victims Squad have joined the urgent manhunt for the sexual predator who allegedly beat and raped a 53-year-old woman inside a commercial building in Downtown Flushing on the night of Sunday, July 14.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing responded to a 911 call after the victim was attacked at 11:06 p.m. inside the business in the vicinity of Prince Street and 40th Road near the Bland Houses NYCHA complex after the perpetrator punched her multiple times in the head before forcibly raping her, police said. The stranger then fled on foot in an unknown direction.

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.