You are reading

Holden Wants City Parks, Beaches and Golf Courses to Reopen Under Phase One

CM Robert Holden (NYC Council via Flickr)

June 6, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Council Member Robert Holden has called on the city to reopen parks and other public spaces as part of Phase 1.

The lawmaker wrote to Parks Commissioner Mitchell Silver Thursday demanding that public parks, beaches, tennis courts and golf courses be made available to the public from June 8.

Holden said residents need access to these facilities for their physical and mental well-being following months of lockdown due to COVID-19.

“During these strenuous times, it is critical that NYC Parks help provide these resources, and I believe they can safely reopen with strict enforcement of social distancing and mask-wearing,” Holden wrote.

New York City is set to begin re-opening parts of the economy on Monday, with construction, agriculture, hunting, manufacturing and wholesale trade employees returning to work.

However many city parks and playgrounds will remain closed. Holden said that two parks in his district – Frank Principe Park in Maspeth and Evergreen Park in the Ridgewood and Glendale area – have been shuttered for months.

Holden said there is no state order mandating that entire parks to be closed. Therefore, he said, he wants all city parks and playgrounds re-opened under phase one.

“Areas outside of the playgrounds should also be open and available to park-goers, such as the space around the playground at Public School 68 in Ridgewood,” he wrote.

Holden also wants the city’s beaches to open up with strictly enforced rules. All New York City beaches remain closed for swimming although residents can visit as long as they are socially distanced.

In addition, tennis courts, golf courses, dog runs, and other public areas where social distancing can be applied should be opened up, he said.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Corona man convicted of murder-for-hire in fatal shooting outside a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019: Feds

A Corona hitman was found guilty of killing a man outside a Flushing karaoke bar in exchange for a $100,000 wristwatch in 2019.

Antony Abreu, 36, was convicted by a federal jury on Tuesday on both counts on an indictment charging him with murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy in connection to the fatal shooting of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu at the Grand Slam KTV on Fowler Avenue on Feb. 12, 2019.

Flushing man indicted in fatal collision that killed 10-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month: DA

A Flushing man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in a fatal collision that killed an 8-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month.

Jose Barcia, 52, is accused of speeding through a crosswalk while making a left turn, killing Bayron Palomino Arroyo and injuring his 10-year-old brother Bradley on Mar. 13. The grand jury indictment was filed on Apr. 18, and Barcia will be arraigned on May 2, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.