You are reading

Man Pleads Guilty of Sexually Assaulting Elderly Woman as Part of Corona Home Invasion

Police released photos and video footage of Rodrigo Escamilla taken from the crime scene shortly after the vicious attack (NYPD)

May 13, 2022 By Christian Murray

A 28-year-old man who barged into a 74-year-old woman’s Corona apartment and attempted to rape her has pleaded guilty to charges related to the vicious July 2019 attack.

Rodrigo Escamilla, of 104th Street in Corona, has pleaded guilty to a “criminal sex act” in the first degree, and Queens Supreme Court Justice Ushir Pandit-Durant said she will sentence him to 15 years in prison to be followed by 20 years’ post release supervision.

“The defendant viciously violated an elderly woman in a place that is supposed to be her safe place of refuge,” said Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz in a statement. “Those who prey on members of our elderly community will be held accountable by my Office.”

Escamilla attacked the septuagenarian after knocking on her apartment door—located on 38th Avenue near 108th Street—shortly after midnight on July 17, 2019.

The elderly woman opened her apartment door and Escamilla forced his way inside before bashing her in the head with a bottle and dragging her into a bedroom. He then held her down and sexually assaulted her.

Police nabbed Escamilla after releasing video surveillance of him following the 74-year-old into the apartment building—and then loitering in the lobby prior to the attack. Footage also showed him approach the woman’s door.

Escamilla lived less than a mile from elderly woman’s apartment.

The victim was treated after the attack at a local hospital and required multiple staples to her head.

Escamilla is scheduled to be sentenced on May 27.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Flushing man indicted in fatal collision that killed 10-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month: DA

A Flushing man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in a fatal collision that killed an 8-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month.

Jose Barcia, 52, is accused of speeding through a crosswalk while making a left turn, killing Bayron Palomino Arroyo and injuring his 10-year-old brother Bradley on Mar. 13. The grand jury indictment was filed on Apr. 18, and Barcia will be arraigned on May 2, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metropolitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.