You are reading

Mayor Issues Advisory Asking New Yorkers to Wear Face Coverings; Holden Says It Should Be Mandatory

Photo: QueensPost

April 3, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Mayor Bill de Blasio advised all New Yorkers Thursday to wear face coverings when stepping outside their homes.

He said people should wear bandanas, scarves, or other coverings over their mouth and nose while out in public in order to slow the spread of the virus that has infected about 50,000 city residents.

The mayor had previously advised people to wear masks or face coverings only if they were sick. He issued the new guidance because more evidence is evolving that shows that asymptomatic people may be carrying COVID-19 and can spread it to others.

“When you put on that face covering you’re protecting everyone else,” he said at a press briefing yesterday.

De Blasio said everyday New Yorkers should not use surgical or N95 masks as those should be reserved for medical workers on the frontlines. Instead the face coverings should be “homemade.”

“It could be a scarf it could be something you create yourself at home, it could be a bandana, it does not, not need to be a professional surgical mask,” de Blasio said.

“In fact, we don’t want you to use the kinds of masks that our first responders need, that our health care workers need. Don’t use those — can’t be clearer — leave those alone, leave those to the people who need them the most who are saving lives.”

However, Health Commissioner Oxiris Barbot said that while the face coverings are helpful in stopping the spread they are by no means foolproof.

“These face covering shouldn’t be seen as an invitation to come closer,” she said. “They should actually be an indication to keep six feet distance.”

The new advisory is only guidance. It is not a mandatory order that will be enforced, de Blasio said.

However, Council Member Robert Holden, who represents Ridgewood and surrounding areas, thinks the city should go a step further and make it mandatory.

“I believe that during this emergency, wearing a mask should be a requirement on the streets of New York City, not just an advisory,” he said in a statement.

He submitted legislation to the City Council Wednesday that would require everyone to wear a mask or face covering when in public during a public health emergency.

“Despite earlier reports about the ineffectiveness of masks for the general public, there is growing evidence and data that shows the opposite is true,” Holden said. “A mask may not entirely protect you from getting sick, but it will prevent you from spreading the Coronavirus to others, and it is very easy to make your own mask at home.”

He said the approach has been effective in other countries like South Korea, Japan and the Czech Republic.

“It’s time for Mayor de Blasio and Dr. Barbot to stop living behind the curve,” Holden said. “Either we are going to flatten the curve or continue to see this virus spread. They are waffling and treading too carefully on this decision once again, and it’s time they showed real leadership by taking a bold step forward.”

More information about face coverings can be found on the city’s coronavirus guidance website.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fresh Meadows MS-13 gang associate sentenced to nearly a half-century in prison for murder of Corona teen in Kissena Park: Feds

An MS-13 gang associate from Fresh Meadows was sentenced to 45 years in federal prison on Tuesday, Aug. 26, for the 2018 slaying of a Corona teenager in Flushing’s Kissena Park.

Juan Amaya-Ramirez, 27, and his co-defendant Oscar Flores-Mejia, 25, from Elmhurst, who is also an associate of the transnational criminal organization, pleaded guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Andy Peralta in Brooklyn federal court last September.

Plant Powered Metro NY helps reverse chronic illness with food and community

Aug. 28, 2025 By Jessica Militello

When Northern Queens resident Sherika Sterling discovered Plant Powered Metro NY’s Jumpstart program, she was struggling with a list of health issues that she thought she would have to deal with her entire life. After joining the program and changing to a plant-based diet, she was able to reverse many of her chronic ailments, including being pre-diabetic, after being equipped with practical tools, knowledge and plant-based recipes.

AG’s office launches investigation into death of man run over by police officer in Flushing Meadows Corona Park

The New York Attorney General’s Office of Special Investigations (OSI) has launched a probe into the death of a civilian on Saturday, Aug. 23, following a motor vehicle collision involving NYPD officers in Flushing Meadows Corona Park.

At approximately 4:37 p.m., an NYPD officer from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst was driving westbound in a marked police cruiser, a 2015 Ford Taurus, at around 10 miles per hour in front of the Queens Theater on United Nations Avenue South, across from the Unisphere, when the vehicle ran over a man who was allegedly lying face up on the roadway prior to the collision, police said.