You are reading

Meng Wants Grocery Stores to Allocate Special Delivery Slots for Seniors and Vulnerable

Congresswoman Grace Meng, provided by Office of Congresswoman Grace Meng

April 22, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

Congresswoman Grace Meng has called on grocery stores to allocate special delivery slots for senior citizens and other vulnerable members of the community during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Shopping at stores during COVID-19 can put the lives of at-risk residents in danger and the move would limit their exposure to the virus, Meng said in a statement Wednesday.

Meng wants supermarkets and online retailers to open up designated delivery time slots for vulnerable people to limit them from traveling outdoors.

Many seniors and vulnerable Queens residents have been unable to secure delivery slots due to a surge in demand for home deliveries as people look to avoid large crowds and long lines at supermarkets.

Meng said that while home deliveries are usually used for convenience, they have become a necessity for the elderly and the immunocompromised during the coronavirus pandemic.

“For many though, going outside is a risk too great to take; either they are physically unable to leave their homes, or the outside exposure can further endanger their lives, Meng said.

“Prioritizing deliveries for seniors and those living with disabilities would be the right thing to do, and it would help ensure that these vulnerable populations stay safe,” she said.

Several stores have already implemented reserved shopping hours for senior citizens and at-risk customers in order to help them avoid waiting in line for prolonged periods of time.

However, Meng urged them to expand on this service by implementing home delivery slots immediately.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Sandra Scherl

This is a great idea.I am disabled and have has to stand for hours to get into grocery store.First outside then inside as well

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metropolitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.