You are reading

More Than 5,000 Queens Households Still Have No Power, Almost a Week After the Storm

A Con Edison worker repairs a power line in Middle Village (Con Edison)

Aug. 10, 2020 By Allie Griffin

More than 5,000 Queens households have been without power for almost a week after Tropical Storm Isaias toppled hundreds of trees and took down power lines in the borough.

There are still 5,729 customers without power in Queens as of noon Monday, according to the Con Edison outage map.

Ozone Park, South Ozone Park and Woodhaven still have significant outages, the company said.

Con Edison said it will restore power to the vast majority of outstanding Queens homes by 11 p.m. tonight.

More than 3,800 workers across the region are continuing to remove downed trees and wires– as well as repair damaged equipment. The crews are working around the clock.

About 18,000 households in Westchester county and more than 1,000 homes in the Bronx are still without power as well.

Tens of thousands of residents across the greater NYC region will be without power as a heat advisory takes effect today. Heat index values are expected to reach up to 97 degrees today in the city.

Con Edison is giving out free dry ice to Queens customers without power at a Home Depot in Ozone Park today from 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. or until supplies runs out. The store is located at 11220 Rockaway Blvd.

The company will also have a mobile information center at the site to answer customers’ questions.

In total, more than 46,000 households in Queens lost power as a result of the tropical storm last Tuesday. Queens saw the largest number of outages among the five boroughs.

 

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mob of young people ransack Flushing boutique minutes after robbing man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue: NYPD

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing are still looking for more than a dozen young people who allegedly robbed a man at knifepoint on Roosevelt Avenue and then pulled a smash-and-grab minutes later, looting a store of tens of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise last month.

The mob of more than a dozen men and women surrounded a 38-year-old man in the vicinity of Roosevelt Avenue and Union Street in the early morning of Monday, April 22. Several of the suspects threatened the victim with knives and some of the individuals menaced him with sticks before they forcibly removed his wallet, which contained $700 in cash, police said, adding that the victim was not injured during the incident.

Mayor announces new 9/11 memorial will be built in Whitestone to honor fallen service members from Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts

Queens will be home to the city’s new memorial dedicated to the 99 service members from the borough who lost their lives in the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq following the events of 9/11, Mayor Eric Adams announced during a Fleet Week kickoff reception at City Hall on Thursday morning.

The borough of Queens was chosen because it is home to the largest number of post-9/11 service members who were killed in action during those conflicts. Queens is also home to the highest population of living veterans than any other borough.

Two men sentenced to life imprisonment in murder-for-hire of perceived business rival at Flushing karaoke club

The president of a Manhattan-based construction company and a California man were sentenced to life in prison in Brooklyn federal court on Wednesday for orchestrating the murder of a businessman at a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019.

Qing Ming “Allen” Yu, 55, of Oyster Bay, and Zhe “Zack” Zhang, 35, of Arcadia, Calif., were convicted by a federal jury in October following a two-week trial for the contract killing of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu, who worked at Yu’s company before becoming his business rival. The jury found the defendants guilty of murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy for hiring a hitman to gun the victim down outside the Grand Slam KTV bar on Fowler Avenue