You are reading

MTA Announces Public Meeting Schedule for Congestion Pricing

Drivers who enter Manhattan below 60th Street will be subject to a toll when the congestion pricing program goes into effect (unSplash)

Aug. 30, 2021 By Christian Murray

The public will get a chance in September to weigh in on the state’s plan to charge motorists a toll to enter Manhattan below 60th Street.

The MTA announced last week that it is holding 13 virtual meetings between mid-September and mid-October where it will discuss its congestion pricing plan that involves creating a tolling zone below 60th Street in Manhattan.

The plan will affect commuters throughout the Tri-state area—so 10 of the 13 meetings will be targeted to geographic regions, such as New Jersey, Connecticut and the outer boroughs. There will also be three meetings that will focus on the plan’s impact on minority and low-income communities.

The MTA says that congestion pricing is needed to address traffic gridlock and to bring in much-needed revenue in order to modernize and upgrade the subway and bus system. MTA officials say they could raise $15 billion through bonds based on the projected revenue.

The details as to how much it would cost per car or truck to enter the tolling zone has yet to be determined. The state legislature approved an overarching plan in 2019.

The public meeting schedule was announced a week after the federal government gave the MTA the approval it needed to start the environmental review process—a process mandated by federal law that requires agencies to examine the potential social and environmental impacts of such a project.

Feedback from the meetings will be part of environmental statement.

The plan is unlikely to go into effect until the end of 2023, officials say, since the MTA anticipates that the environmental review process will take 16 months and then the plan could take a year to implement.

While most Queens officials are in favor of congestion pricing, the plan has received some pushback. Elected officials in the eastern section of the borough have not embraced it with the same enthusiasm, arguing that it is unfair to their constituents who depend on cars given the lack of public transportation options.

The MTA and its allies argue that the plan will ease traffic and improve the transit system. They are urging the public to participate in the meetings.

“This is the first congestion pricing program in the United States, and it’s important that the public have an opportunity to learn about the proposal and to be able to weigh in,” said Janno Lieber, Acting MTA Chair & CEO. “We are committed to getting this project done quickly while providing the public real transparency throughout the process.”

10 Regional Public Meetings—Schedule

To register to speak, the public is advised to visit the MTA’s new Central Business District Tolling web portal at new.mta.info/project/CBDTP. The hearings will be held virtually at these dates and times:

  • Thursday, Sept. 23, 10 a.m. to noon: The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island
  • Thursday, Sept. 23, 6-8 p.m.: Manhattan Central Business District (60th Street and below)
  • Friday, Sept. 24, 10 a.m. to noon: New Jersey
  • Wednesday, Sept. 29, 10 a.m. to noon: Northern New York City Suburbs
  • Wednesday, Sept. 29, 6-8 p.m.: Long Island
  • Thursday, Sept. 30, 6-8 p.m.: The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island
  • Friday, Oct. 1, 1-3 p.m.: Connecticut
  • Monday, Oct. 4, 6-8 p.m.: New Jersey
  • Tuesday, Oct. 5, 6-8 p.m.: Northern New York City Suburbs
  • Wednesday, Oct. 6, 6-8 p.m.: Manhattan Outside the Central Business District (61st Street and above)

Three virtual meetings will be held, focused on environmental justice communities located respectively in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut, though anyone may register to attend any or all of these:

  • Thursday, Oct. 7, 6-8 p.m.: New York
  • Tuesday, Oct. 12, 6-8 p.m.: New Jersey
  • Wednesday, Oct. 13, 6-8 p.m.: Connecticut
email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Corona man convicted of murder-for-hire in fatal shooting outside a Flushing karaoke bar in 2019: Feds

A Corona hitman was found guilty of killing a man outside a Flushing karaoke bar in exchange for a $100,000 wristwatch in 2019.

Antony Abreu, 36, was convicted by a federal jury on Tuesday on both counts on an indictment charging him with murder-for-hire and murder-for-hire conspiracy in connection to the fatal shooting of 31-year-old Xin “Chris” Gu at the Grand Slam KTV on Fowler Avenue on Feb. 12, 2019.

Flushing man indicted in fatal collision that killed 10-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month: DA

A Flushing man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in a fatal collision that killed an 8-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month.

Jose Barcia, 52, is accused of speeding through a crosswalk while making a left turn, killing Bayron Palomino Arroyo and injuring his 10-year-old brother Bradley on Mar. 13. The grand jury indictment was filed on Apr. 18, and Barcia will be arraigned on May 2, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.