You are reading

MTA Offering a $10,000 Reward for Tips on 7-Train Window Smasher

7 train with broken glass (Twitter: @TripleG_RTO)

Aug. 24, 2020 By Allie Griffin

The Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of a serial 7-train window smasher.

There have been more than 70 incidents involving broken subway windows since May, according to MTA and NYPD officials. The damage totals more than $300,000, MTA Chairman Pat Foye said at a press conference today.

Foye announced the reward for tips leading to the arrest and indictment of the “sociopath” responsible for the 7-train damage today. The $10,000 is in addition to the $2,500 reward provided by the NYPD Crime Stoppers.

He said he hopes that prosecutors put the perpetrator in prison, adding that it would send a message to the public that this is not to be tolerated.

Foye said the MTA will also pursue civil litigation against the perpetrator in an attempt to recover the costs associated with replacing the smashed windows.

Last year such vandalism was “virtually nonexistent,” Jason Savino, Commanding Officer of the NYPD Central Robbery Division said at the press conference.  “Now it’s prominent. It’s a growing problem.”

“We need the public’s help,” he said. “Put on your little detective shields.”

Windows have been smashed on the 7, 2 and 3 subway lines. There have been 53 such incidents in Manhattan, 14 in Queens, two in Brooklyn and one in the Bronx since May.

A witness filmed a man smashing a 7-train window with a hammer on Aug.1 and sent it to the NYPD, which released a photo of the man in hopes someone can identify him.

Last night, a vandal targeted the 7 train yet again, according to Pat Warren, Chief Safety Officer of the MTA. He said four windows were smashed.

“It continues to be an infuriating problem for the MTA and everyone in New York City,” Warren said. “This is your money, this is your time on the trains and the inconvenience costs you.”

Trains must be pulled from service for the windows to be replaced. Repairing the trains has caused delays, impacting riders from Woodside, Jackson Heights, Elmhurst and Sunnyside..

The officials wouldn’t say if they believe the damage was the work of one individual or multiple people.

Foye was asked whether spending $10,000 on a reward made sense for the cash-strapped agency.

“This person … has already cost us $300,000, trains have been taken out of service, hundreds of thousands of customers have been disrupted, and clearly offering a reward for information leading the arrest and indictment of a person who’s caused $300,000 in damages in scores of incidents is money well spent,” he said.

The MTA and NYPD are asking anyone with information regarding the vandalism to call 1-800-577-TIPS.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.

Man sought for raping 13-year-old girl in Flushing park in broad daylight Thursday: NYPD

An urgent manhunt is underway in Northeast Queens after a Hispanic man allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl at knifepoint in Kissena Corridor Park in broad daylight on Thursday afternoon.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing reported that the youngster was with a 13-year-old boy in the park near Kalmia Avenue and Colden Street at around 3:30 p.m. when a stranger approached and threatened them with a knife, forcing them both into a wooded section where he tied them up. The perpetrator proceeded to forcibly remove their cell phones before sexually assaulting the girl, police said, adding that he fled in an unknown direction.