You are reading

MTA Reverses Cuts to Q46 and Q44 Bus Service

Service cuts will no longer be coming to the Q44 bus line. (Wikimedia)

May 1, 2019 By Laura Hanrahan

The MTA will reverse its plans to cut service to two bus routes in Queens, Assemblywoman Nily Rozic announced on Monday.

The transportation authority and New York City Transit will restore full service on the Q46 and Q44 Select Bus Service lines, which run primarily along Union Turnpike and Main Street, respectively. The announcement comes just three months after service cuts were approved along the corridors.

“I am thankful that the MTA and NYCT listened to the concerns of Eastern Queens bus riders and restored Q46 and Q44 service —outerborough transit riders must not be neglected,” said Rozic. “These service investments will give riders more options to get where they need to go, more options during rush hour, and more reason to use subways and commuter trains instead.”

In January, the already limited service on the Q46 line was reduced throughout the day by reallocating several trips to the local AM peak times. Similar cuts had been planned for the Q44, but had not yet been implemented.

Rozic’s office says that following the cuts, they began hearing complaints from constituents about long delays and unreasonable wait times on the Q46 line, which services an area that does not have subway or train stations.

Rozic was able to reach an agreement with the MTA and New York City Transit that will restore full service to the Q46 and halt future cuts to the Q44 by funding the service with outer borough transit funds acquired by legislators. The funding has no impact on the MTA budget.

“We’re very pleased to be able to provide additional bus service along Main Street and Union Turnpike, allowing riders to get where they’re going quickly and effectively, in a way that doesn’t add costs to the MTA,” said Darryl Irick, President of the MTA bus company.

Riders Alliance Senior Organizer Stephanie Burgos-Veras thanked Rozic for her work providing Queens riders, who often have greuling commutes, with more reliable service.

“The restoration of bus service on the Q44 and Q46 represents a giant leap for riders,” Burgos-Veras said. “As advocates for better transit and congestion pricing, we argued that it wasn’t just about Manhattan nor just about the train. Today, the proof is in better bus service for eastern Queens.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com

2 Comments

Click for Comments 
TIRED OF WALKING

They need to run Local and Select Bus Service along all major roadways. With Select Bus the MTA figured out a way to still get the fare and claim fast on time service by causing us to walk more, longer and with much difficulty if you are a senior or disabled

Reply
DB

Absolutely ridiculous that they cut service. This is an extremely underserved area of public transit and they decided to cut one of the few services. Probably because of the precious parking spots…

5
7
Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Flushing man indicted in fatal collision that killed 10-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month: DA

A Flushing man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in a fatal collision that killed an 8-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month.

Jose Barcia, 52, is accused of speeding through a crosswalk while making a left turn, killing Bayron Palomino Arroyo and injuring his 10-year-old brother Bradley on Mar. 13. The grand jury indictment was filed on Apr. 18, and Barcia will be arraigned on May 2, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metropolitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.