You are reading

MTA’s Plan To Overhaul Six Stations on 7 Line is Moving Forward

52nd Street station in Woodside (Photo: Queens Post)

July 6, 2021 By Christian Murray

The MTA’s plan to overhaul six dilapidated stations along the 7 line is moving forward, the agency told the Queens Post on Friday.

The MTA says that it has completed the design work to rehabilitate the 52nd Street, 61st Street, 69th, 82nd, 103rd and 111th Street stations– with a contract to be awarded for the work in 2022.

The work has been planned for some time but was put on hold due to COVID-19. The agency had planned to award a contract in 2020.

The work is long overdue, residents say, as the 7 train stations in Woodside, Jackson Heights and Corona have been in poor condition for many years with stairs falling apart, platforms in disrepair and paint peeling from the station walls.

103rd Street Station (Photo: Queens Post)

The overhaul of the stations will be comprehensive, according to the MTA.

“The components to be addressed include, but are not limited to: platform edges, stairways, structural columns and beams, lighting, windscreens, etc. The work will also include artwork and painting of the station,” the MTA spokesperson said.

“The purpose of the station renewal work…is to eliminate all defects and to improve the overall safety and appearance of each station,” the spokesperson said.

The work at the 61st Street station, however, will also include “more substantial structural repairs of supporting steel structure.”

The current budget to revamp the six stations is approximately $300 million, with the work funded in the MTA’s 2015-2019 capital plan, the MTA said.

The MTA plans to advance two contracts. One contract will be to revamp the 61st station—with the other to overhaul the five others.

The six stations are among the worst in the 467-station system. The Citizens Budget Commission back in 2015 noted that the 52nd Street station was the worst station in the system—with 79 percent of its structural components—defined as stairs, platform edges, ventilators and more– not in a state of good repair.

email the author: news@queenspost.com

One Comment

Click for Comments 
Larry Penner

The $32 billion MTA 2015 – 2019 Capital Program provided funding to upgrade the Mets Willets Point ($48 million), 111th Street ($16 million), 103rd Street ($18 million) and 82nd Street ($22 million). The original schedule called for contracts to be advertised and awarded with a notice to proceed to the winning contractor in 2018. Additional stations including 69th Street ($17 million), 61st Street Woodside ($17 million) and 52nd Street ($18 million) The original schedule called for contracts to be advertised and awarded with a notice to proceed to the winning contractor in 2019. Why wasn’t this work initiated on time? Who is going to pay for the additional costs if the contractors bids come in above the NYC Transit Engineers cost estimates and available funding station by station? How will this work impact #7 local and express service during construction? Riders, taxpayers, transit advocates, transit reporters and local elected officials deserve an explanation from the MTA rather than just a Press Release.

(Larry Penner is a transportation advocate, historian and writer who previously worked for the Federal Transit Administration Region 2 NY Office).

Reply

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Curtis Sliwa calls for more protection of kids after brutal sexual attack on teenage girl in Flushing

Jun. 18, 2024 By Gabriele Holtermann

Following the horrific incident where a 13-year-old girl was raped in Kissena Corridor Park in Flushing last Thursday, former NYC mayoral candidate Curtis Sliwa, several GOP candidates, and community leaders held a rally in the park on Monday evening. They called for increased protection for children in Flushing after the attacker forced the victim and her friend into a wooded area at knifepoint, tied them up, and committed the heinous crime.

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.

Man sought for raping 13-year-old girl in Flushing park in broad daylight Thursday: NYPD

An urgent manhunt is underway in Northeast Queens after a Hispanic man allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl at knifepoint in Kissena Corridor Park in broad daylight on Thursday afternoon.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing reported that the youngster was with a 13-year-old boy in the park near Kalmia Avenue and Colden Street at around 3:30 p.m. when a stranger approached and threatened them with a knife, forcing them both into a wooded section where he tied them up. The perpetrator proceeded to forcibly remove their cell phones before sexually assaulting the girl, police said, adding that he fled in an unknown direction.