You are reading

Nearly 20 Percent of Queens Adults Have Received at Least One Dose of COVID-19 Vaccine

Patient receives Covid-19 vaccine shot (Unsplash @stevencornfield)

March 10, 2021 By Christina Santucci

An estimated 18 percent of adults in Queens have been vaccinated — either partially or fully — against COVID-19 vaccine, a representative from the city Health Department told borough leaders at a virtual meeting Tuesday morning.

About nine percent of adults in the borough have received their first dose of the two-dose vaccines, while an additional nine percent have been fully vaccinated, according to city data. The total percentage in Queens is below that of Staten Island and Manhattan (both 24 percent) and higher than the Bronx (16 percent) and Brooklyn (14 percent).

Chelsea Cipriano from the Department of Health & Mental Hygiene provided the update to the Queens Borough Cabinet as part of a presentation on the city’s efforts to combat COVID-19. She was joined by Laura Atlas from the city’s Test & Trace Corps, and the pair briefed the cabinet about testing, tracing and vaccination efforts in the borough.

So far, more than 390,000 Queens residents have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, according to New York state data.

But borough residents should remain vigilant, officials said.

“You don’t throw the oars out of the boat just because you see shore. We are still very much in the middle of an active pandemic,” Cipriano told attendees.

The officials recommended that people continue what they called the “core four” prevention strategies: to stay home if sick, to wear a face covering, to keep six feet away from others and to wash hands or use hand sanitizer.

They also noted that information about the number of people found to be infected with two new COVID-19 variants was available on the city’s website. On Wednesday, city officials reported that the variants — including the B.1.526 variant first identified in New York City — were identified in more than half of positive tests sampled.

“These are variants of concern. They are more transmissible,” Cipriano said.

Following Tuesday’s presentation, members of the Queens Borough Cabinet and the borough president, who chairs the cabinet, asked questions about vaccine sites and eligibility requirements. The cabinet is comprised of district managers from Queens community boards and representatives from city agencies.

Borough President Donovan Richards asked if some of the current testing sites in Queens could also be used as vaccination hubs. “A lot of those particular spots are in areas that are hardest hit,” he said.

In response, Atlas said that vaccination locations require additional space for equipment and for those who receive the shots to be observed by medical professionals afterward.

Vaccine recipients generally have to stay on site for 15 minutes — but those who have previously had allergic reactions should be watched for 30 minutes, according to city health recommendations.

“The testing — essentially all you need is a swab which is very easy to purchase and maintain,” Atlas said. “With the vaccines, you have that additional observation period.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Queens Special Victims Squad joins search for alleged rapist in Downtown Flushing: NYPD

Detectives from the Queens Special Victims Squad have joined the urgent manhunt for the sexual predator who allegedly beat and raped a 53-year-old woman inside a commercial building in Downtown Flushing on the night of Sunday, July 14.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing responded to a 911 call after the victim was attacked at 11:06 p.m. inside the business in the vicinity of Prince Street and 40th Road near the Bland Houses NYCHA complex after the perpetrator punched her multiple times in the head before forcibly raping her, police said. The stranger then fled on foot in an unknown direction.

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.