You are reading

New York City On Track to Enter Phase Two Monday: Hair Salons, Outdoor Dining to Reopen

Governor Andrew Cuomo discussing the decline in new COVID-19 cases in New York City (Gov. Andrew Cuomo at today’s press briefing)

June 17, 2020 By Allie Griffin

New York City is on track to enter Phase Two of the state’s reopening process Monday, with hair salons, barbershops and outdoor dining to reopen.

Governor Andrew Cuomo made the announcement today just hours after Mayor Bill de Blasio refused to give a precise date for when the city will move into the second reopening phase.

De Blasio said the city must wait to see if there is an uptick in COVID-19 cases stemming from recent protests before making a decision. He said the Health Department will know if the demonstrations have had an impact as early as the weekend.

“It’s a day-to-day discussion,” he said of a Phase Two date this morning. “We want to come to a decision with the state as quickly as possible.”

The mayor said the earliest day possible would be Monday, but he has previously warned the city may not move into Phase Two until early July.

However, Cuomo said New York City has made significant progress fighting back the deadly virus and is ready to take the next step towards getting back to normalcy.

“New York [City] is on track to enter Phase Two on Monday,” Cuomo said at his daily briefing in Albany.

Under Phase Two, retail stores can open in-store shopping. Some offices, places of worship, real estate offices and car dealerships can also reopen with limited capacities.

Hair salons and barbers shops will be able to reopen at 50 percent capacity, while restaurants will be able to open their doors for outdoor service also at 50 percent capacity. Customers and staff must wear face masks.

The Big Apple will be the last of the state’s 10 regions to begin Phase Two. Several regions have already entered Phase Three.

“You look at all the numbers, all the numbers are good,” Cuomo said, indicating the city has met the standards to move forward.

The number of new hospital admissions for suspected COVID patients has decreased dramatically in New York City. On Monday, 55 patients were admitted to a hospital — well below the city’s goal of below 200.

Just 2 percent of city residents who were tested Monday were found to have COVID-19, according to the latest DOH data.

“New York [City] has climbed the mountain and it was the highest mountain in the state of New York,” Cuomo said today, as he displayed a graphic showing a rapid decline in COVID-19 cases.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Queens Special Victims Squad joins search for alleged rapist in Downtown Flushing: NYPD

Detectives from the Queens Special Victims Squad have joined the urgent manhunt for the sexual predator who allegedly beat and raped a 53-year-old woman inside a commercial building in Downtown Flushing on the night of Sunday, July 14.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing responded to a 911 call after the victim was attacked at 11:06 p.m. inside the business in the vicinity of Prince Street and 40th Road near the Bland Houses NYCHA complex after the perpetrator punched her multiple times in the head before forcibly raping her, police said. The stranger then fled on foot in an unknown direction.

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.