You are reading

New York City Will Enter Phase Two of Reopening Monday With Outdoor Dining Open

Bar 43 in Sunnyside serving takeout during COVID-19 shutdown (Photo: QueensPost)

June 18, 2020 By Allie Griffin

New Yorkers will be able to dine out at their local restaurants Monday, as New York City begins the next phase of reopening.

Mayor Bill de Blasio confirmed today that the five boroughs will enter Phase Two of the state’s reopening plan Monday, noting that restaurants will be able to open outdoor seating.

Barbershops, hair salons, offices, playgrounds and in-store retail will also reopen Monday, as well as real estate and car leasing.

“A whole host of industries will come back to life,” de Blasio said.

The mayor outlined the city’s plan to expand outdoor seating space for restaurants.

Restaurants will be able to take advantage of a variety of options, including sidewalks seating, parking space seating, open streets seating and pedestrian plaza seating.

Eateries with backyards and patios can also seat customers in their outdoor spaces.

“We think this will help save at least 5,000 New York City restaurants.” de Blasio said.

Restaurants can open sidewalk seating, beginning Monday through October and curbside seating in parking lanes Monday through Labor Day.

Seating areas in parking lanes must be blocked from traffic with barriers, such as planters, and can only extend the length of the storefront. Sidewalk seating must maintain a clear path for pedestrians.

Restaurant owners can apply online for sidewalk and curbside seating and self-certify within minutes online, de Blasio said.

Outdoor seating options for Monday (City Hall presentation)

The city will also allow seating on full streets closed to traffic through the Open Streets initiative it launched during the pandemic.

The open streets seating will begin in July, as the Department of Transportation and community groups identify potential roads. The seating will be allowed on nights and weekends, de Blasio said.

“We’re thrilled to offer the streets and sidewalks to help our cherished restaurants come back to life,” said DOT Commissioner Polly Trottenberg.

An estimated 150,000 to 300,000 more New Yorkers will return to work in Phase Two.

The city has launched a hotline to help business owners navigate reopening and follow the state and city requirements. Owners can call 888-SBS-4NYC can visit nyc.gov/business for guidance.

(City Hall presentation)

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metropolitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.