You are reading

Non Profit Launches Guide to Help Undocumented Immigrants Tap Into Excluded Workers Fund

Make The Road New York holds a rally calling for funds for excluded workers prior to state budget (Instagram)

April 14, 2021 By Allie Griffin

A local nonprofit has launched a bilingual resource guide on the state’s recently passed “Excluded Workers Fund” for undocumented immigrants who have lost work due to the pandemic.

Make the Road NY has created a website to help residents who qualify for the fund access accurate and up-to-date information about the program.

The group created the website after the state legislature established the fund as part of its $212 billion budget deal reached last Tuesday.

The $2.1 billion “Excluded Workers Fund” will provide payments of up to $15,600 to undocumented immigrants who lost their jobs during the pandemic.

Undocumented immigrants have been ineligible to receive financial support from federal relief programs—like unemployment insurance and stimulus checks—due to their immigration status.

The new fund would provide relief to undocumented New Yorkers who lost their jobs and didn’t qualify for such aid, which would cover tens of thousands of Queens residents.

There are 58,000 Queens residents who will be eligible to receive funds once applications for the program open, according to Fiscal Policy Institute.

State Sen. Jessica Ramos spearheaded the effort to establish the fund as part of the budget.

“This long overdue relief will offer hundreds of thousands of New York’s excluded workers the financial support they need to be able to provide for themselves and their families,” Ramos said in a statement last week.

“The fund created in this budget will go a long way in recognizing the vital contributions our undocumented New Yorkers have had on our state’s response and recovery, and I am hopeful other states will begin to do the same.”

The state-led fund is the most significant of its kind across the country.

Those eligible to receive a payment must provide documentation proving their eligibility, such as a tax return from 2018 to 2020 or proof of former employment. The exact requirements are still be determined by the NY Department of Labor.

Make the Road NY, which has a Jackson Heights office, will regularly update its website as more information about the application process becomes available. Applications for the fund have yet to open.

“As we celebrate these historic victories for our communities, we are also pivoting quickly to ensure swift and strong implementation and make certain that community members have access to all the most updated information about these programs,” said Theo Oshiro, Co-Executive Director of Make the Road New York.

“We will continue to provide reliable, accessible, and bilingual information and help people get ready to apply once the programs are open.”

The website is also available in Spanish here.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Mets partner with mass mobility service company Rally to provide gameday shuttles for three upcoming games

Jul. 22, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The New York Mets and mass mobility service company Rally on July 19 announced a partnership to provide shuttle service to three upcoming Mets games from special locations or crowdsourced trips. This service will be available for the Saturday, July 27, game against the Atlanta Braves, the Saturday, Aug. 17, game against the Miami Marlins and the Saturday, Sept. 7, game against the Cincinnati Reds.

Queens Special Victims Squad joins search for alleged rapist in Downtown Flushing: NYPD

Detectives from the Queens Special Victims Squad have joined the urgent manhunt for the sexual predator who allegedly beat and raped a 53-year-old woman inside a commercial building in Downtown Flushing on the night of Sunday, July 14.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing responded to a 911 call after the victim was attacked at 11:06 p.m. inside the business in the vicinity of Prince Street and 40th Road near the Bland Houses NYCHA complex after the perpetrator punched her multiple times in the head before forcibly raping her, police said. The stranger then fled on foot in an unknown direction.

AG James announces dismantling of Queens-based ghost gun trafficking operation

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Wednesday the takedown of a prolific Queens-based gun trafficking crew accused of selling firearms and ammo at an East Elmhurst playground, the Queens Center Mall and other locations around the borough.

James secured a 625-count indictment charging five men for participating in the gun smuggling ring, which involved selling dozens of ghost guns, assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.