You are reading

Ocasio-Cortez Tells Millions Via Instagram That She is a Sexual Assault Survivor

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez recounts her experience during the Capitol riot on Jan. 6 and discloses that she is a sexual assault survivor (Photo: Instagram)

Feb. 2, 2021 By Christina Santucci

Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez revealed Monday that she is a sexual assault survivor during an Instagram Live video, in which she also recounted more details about her harrowing experience during the Capitol riot.

“I am a survivor of sexual assault,” she said, as her voice filled with emotion. “I haven’t told many people that in my life.”

Ocasio-Cortez did not disclose the circumstances of the assault during the 90-minute video, which had been viewed more than two million times as of Tuesday morning.

The congresswoman likened many people’s attitude toward sexual assault–to that of what took place at the Capitol.

She said that she is being told “to move on,” forget and even apologize in the wake of the mob attack on the Capitol on Jan. 6. “These are the same tactics of abusers,” she said.

During the video, Ocasio-Cortez also recounted more information about the Capitol insurrection and how she hid in a bathroom and feared for her life after protestors breached the building.

The congress member said she had just returned to her office after receiving her second dose of the COVID-19 vaccination when she heard violent banging on doors in the hallway. She hid in a bathroom and then heard a man’s voice yelling “’Where is she?’”

“This was the moment where I thought everything was over,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “I have never been quieter in my entire life.”

“I felt that if this was the journey my life was taking… [that] things were going to be ok … and that I had fulfilled my purpose,” she said, before wiping away tears.

The person who had been asking where she was was in fact a Capitol police officer, who directed her to go to another location. She said the situation did not feel right and said that the officer looked at her with “a tremendous amount of anger and hostility.”

Ocasio-Cortez and a staffer then urgently sought shelter elsewhere and eventually hid in the office of Congresswoman Katie Porter. “It almost felt like a zombie movie or something,” she said.

The congress members and their staff members turned off the lights, barricaded the doors and found more casual clothing to wear in case they needed to blend in with the crowd and make a quick escape.

Ocasio-Cortez said she stayed in Porter’s office for about five hours and then sheltered with Rep. Ayanna Pressley until about 4 a.m.

She said she refrained from tweeting during the day. “I wasn’t safe. I did not feel safe, and I wasn’t going to lie,” she explained.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Flushing man indicted in fatal collision that killed 10-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month: DA

A Flushing man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in a fatal collision that killed an 8-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month.

Jose Barcia, 52, is accused of speeding through a crosswalk while making a left turn, killing Bayron Palomino Arroyo and injuring his 10-year-old brother Bradley on Mar. 13. The grand jury indictment was filed on Apr. 18, and Barcia will be arraigned on May 2, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metropolitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.