You are reading

Online Job Recruitment Fair to Be Held Wednesday, Hundreds of Jobs up for Grabs

Zoom (Unsplash)

May 10, 2020 By Michael Dorgan

An online job recruitment fair will take place on Wednesday to help out of work residents find employment.

The virtual fair, which is being spearheaded by Acting Queens Borough President Sharon Lee, will take place via the video-conferencing application Zoom on May 13 between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.

Job seekers will get a chance to connect with employers and recruiters who have roles in essential industries like healthcare, transportation, retail and airport security up for grabs. There are hundreds of jobs on offer.

Jobs with the U.S. Census Bureau, Child Center for New York, Council for Airport Opportunity, Queens Center for Progress, Watch Guard 24/7 and Workforce1 are also available for qualified candidates.

The fair comes at a time when the World’s Borough– like the rest of New York– has taken an economic hit caused by the COVID-19 shutdown.

Last week, City Comptroller Scott Stringer estimated that one-in-five working New Yorkers will be out of a job by the end of June.

Acting Queens Borough President Sharon Lee said that the COVID-19 pandemic has wreaked havoc on the local workforce and the economy.

Lee said that her office aims to do what it can to help unemployed residents. While the number of jobs on offer is small compared to the number lost, she said, it will help.

“It may seem like a mere drop in an ocean, but that drop can make all the difference for entire families and communities,” she said.

Job seekers who want to participate are asked to register before 2 p.m. May 12 by clicking on this link.

A live stream of the Jobs Recruitment Fair will be available to watch here.

 

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metropolitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.