You are reading

Pedestrian Struck Dead by MTA Bus in Jackson Heights Tuesday

A 63-year-old man is dead after being struck by a bus in Jackson Heights Tuesday evening. Pictured is an image from the scene of the incident (Photo: Citizen)

Dec. 22, 2021 By Michael Dorgan

A 63-year-old man is dead after being struck by a bus in Jackson Heights Tuesday evening.

Nazmul MD Ahsan was hit while walking through a crosswalk on Broadway near Roosevelt Avenue at around 7:20 p.m., cops said.

The MTA driver, a 54-year-old man, was traveling westbound along Broadway with the green light when he slammed into Ahsan as the victim entered the crosswalk. Ahsan was crossing Broadway from north to south against the pedestrian signal, police said.

The front bumper of the bus smashed into Ahsan, knocking him to the pavement, police said.

Police responded to a 911 call and found Ahsan lying on the roadway with head trauma. He was transported to NYC Health & Hospitals/Elmhurst by EMS but could not be saved.

The bus driver was not injured and remained at the scene. The driver has not been charged and the investigation remains ongoing.

Ahsan, who was from 81st Street in Ozone Park, had just left a cellphone repair store and was rushing to make a nearby doctor’s appointment when he was struck, according to the New York Daily News.

He was married with two sons, the publication reported.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Flushing man indicted in fatal collision that killed 10-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month: DA

A Flushing man was indicted by a Queens grand jury in a fatal collision that killed an 8-year-old boy in East Elmhurst last month.

Jose Barcia, 52, is accused of speeding through a crosswalk while making a left turn, killing Bayron Palomino Arroyo and injuring his 10-year-old brother Bradley on Mar. 13. The grand jury indictment was filed on Apr. 18, and Barcia will be arraigned on May 2, according to Queens District Attorney Melinda Katz.

Dozens of restaurant and small business owners urge Sen. Ramos to support the $8B Metropolitan Park proposal at Citi Field

Around fifty restaurant and small business owners from Corona, Jackson Heights, and East Elmhurst signed a letter asking state Senator Jessica Ramos to support the $8 billion Metropolitan Park proposal from New York Mets owner Steve Cohen and Hard Rock International to build a casino and entertainment complex on the parking lot adjacent to Citi Field.

Jessica Rico, the owner of Mojitos Restaurant & Bar in Jackson Heights, hand-delivered the letter to a Ramos staffer while the Senator was in Albany on April 19.

Crunching the Queens crime numbers: grand larcenies down across borough, rapes halved in the north, robberies decrease in the south

Apr. 17, 2024 By Ethan Marshall

The number of grand larcenies across Queens was down during the 28-day period from March 18 to April 14, compared to the same period of time last year, according to the latest crime stats released by the NYPD Monday. At the same time, rapes and robberies decreased significantly in northern and southern Queens, respectively.