You are reading

Podcast: Council Member Bob Holden Talks About Rising Crime, Homelessness and the Budget Hole

Sept. 3, 2020 By Christian Murray

Council Member Robert Holden, who represents the 30th Council District, considers himself to be a “common sense” elected official—something he says is in short supply among legislators in New York City.

Holden, whose district includes Glendale, Middle Village and Maspeth, says that the progressive and socialist policies of Mayor De Blasio and many in the city council are responsible for putting “the greatest city in the world” at risk of decline.

He talks to the Queens Post and discusses the spike in shootings and murders.

Holden says the “war on police;” progressive bail reform policies; and the “emptying” of the Rikers Island prison facility has put the public at risk.

“We are paying the price for the anti-police protests and the anti-police rhetoric,” Holden says, which has led to the defund and abolish-the-police movement. “My [city council] colleagues are certainly leading the way with the anti-police rhetoric.”

Holden, in the podcast, is critical of some of his council colleagues who argue that the jump in shootings and crime is due to a police slowdown.

“That’s a joke,” Holden, a Democrat, said. “It’s what they have done to the city. We had a great NYPD for decades.”

Holden argues that many dangerous criminals are not doing prison time due to new bail reform laws that were passed by the state last year. Many are now on the streets, he adds.

Holden is especially critical of Mayor Bill de Blasio and his desire to reduce the prison population at Rikers Island, which the council member says has led to more criminals being at large. He also says that the Mayor’s policy to ultimately shut the facility down in favor of borough-based jails is misguided.

“The mayor has done everything wrong with public safety,” Holden says, adding that his desire to reduce the prison population at Rikers as well as the blanket changes being made to the NYPD are the source of the public safety issues.

Holden says that he could never understand the mayor’s fervor to close Rikers Island and the entire “close Rikers movement.”

“It’s not the buildings’ fault things were happening,” he said. “It was management…and that was what needed fixing.”

“There is this religious movement to close Rikers,” Holden said. “Then you had some people come forward in the city council saying you should not build any jails at all….very, crazy radical ideas.”

He said the concept to close Rikers Island and spend billions to construct “skyscraper jails” makes even little sense now given the economic crisis the city now faces. He says rebuild Rikers.

Holden, during the podcast, says the mayor’s policy toward homelessness is also problematic—putting the public at risk.

He says the mayor is in favor of building large dormitory shelters that house a large number of people.

Holden says that the 200-bed, all-male facility that opened in Glendale this year has become a source of problems. He says in the podcast that the men have attacked and robbed random people nearby and even fight among themselves.

He says that building smaller, more manageable “faith based” shelters is a better solution. He said the large facilities—with many people–are just too difficult to manage and are a source of problems. Many people, he said, in these facilities have mental health issues and need to be monitored.

Holden in the podcast talks about the city budget—and the $9 billion hole– and says that many of the mayor’s costly programs need to be cut back.

He says that raising taxes on residents in the five boroughs is not the solution and it would hurt the middle class the most. He says the wealthy have shelters and will find ways to avoid them or move elsewhere.

The council member in the podcast discusses whether he would run for mayor. The New York Post editorial board suggested last month that he would be a good choice.

Holden didn’t dismiss running and said that the next mayor needs to have common sense.

“I’m listening to a lot of people…I would have to convince my wife and that would be a huge task,” he said. “It is flattering.”

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.

Man sought for raping 13-year-old girl in Flushing park in broad daylight Thursday: NYPD

An urgent manhunt is underway in Northeast Queens after a Hispanic man allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl at knifepoint in Kissena Corridor Park in broad daylight on Thursday afternoon.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing reported that the youngster was with a 13-year-old boy in the park near Kalmia Avenue and Colden Street at around 3:30 p.m. when a stranger approached and threatened them with a knife, forcing them both into a wooded section where he tied them up. The perpetrator proceeded to forcibly remove their cell phones before sexually assaulting the girl, police said, adding that he fled in an unknown direction.