You are reading

Queens DA Melinda Katz Tests Positive for Coronavirus

Melinda Katz (Twitter)

March 30, 2020 By Allie Griffin

Queens District Attorney and former Borough President Melinda Katz has tested positive for coronavirus.

Katz learned she had been exposed to someone who had the virus on March 21 and soon got tested. Her test results came back Saturday, confirming she was positive for COVID-19, Politico reported.

Most of the staff at the Queens District Attorney’s Office, including Katz, have been working from home since March 19.

Arraignments and Supreme Court appearances are being held via video conferencing in Queens in order to protect staff and defendants and promote social distancing.

Katz took over as Queens District Attorney at the beginning of 2020. A special election to replace her prior position as Queens Borough President that was set for last week has been postponed.

Council Member Costa Constantinides, a candidate in the running for borough president, issued a statement saying his prayers are with Katz.

“My prayers are with District Attorney Katz, her sons, and the thousands of fellow Queens residents who have tested positive for COVID-19,” Constantidies said in a statement. “We are at the epicenter of this crisis, but we will get through them if we work together and support one another. I wish her a speedy recovery and hope all Queens families stay safe.”

Queens has more than 10,000 cases of coronavirus — more than any borough — as of yesterday evening, according to City data.

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Fresh Meadows MS-13 gang associate sentenced to nearly a half-century in prison for murder of Corona teen in Kissena Park: Feds

An MS-13 gang associate from Fresh Meadows was sentenced to 45 years in federal prison on Tuesday, Aug. 26, for the 2018 slaying of a Corona teenager in Flushing’s Kissena Park.

Juan Amaya-Ramirez, 27, and his co-defendant Oscar Flores-Mejia, 25, from Elmhurst, who is also an associate of the transnational criminal organization, pleaded guilty to the murder of 17-year-old Andy Peralta in Brooklyn federal court last September.

Plant Powered Metro NY helps reverse chronic illness with food and community

Aug. 28, 2025 By Jessica Militello

When Northern Queens resident Sherika Sterling discovered Plant Powered Metro NY’s Jumpstart program, she was struggling with a list of health issues that she thought she would have to deal with her entire life. After joining the program and changing to a plant-based diet, she was able to reverse many of her chronic ailments, including being pre-diabetic, after being equipped with practical tools, knowledge and plant-based recipes.

AG’s office launches investigation into death of man run over by police officer in Flushing Meadows Corona Park

The New York Attorney General’s Office of Special Investigations (OSI) has launched a probe into the death of a civilian on Saturday, Aug. 23, following a motor vehicle collision involving NYPD officers in Flushing Meadows Corona Park.

At approximately 4:37 p.m., an NYPD officer from the 110th Precinct in Elmhurst was driving westbound in a marked police cruiser, a 2015 Ford Taurus, at around 10 miles per hour in front of the Queens Theater on United Nations Avenue South, across from the Unisphere, when the vehicle ran over a man who was allegedly lying face up on the roadway prior to the collision, police said.