You are reading

Queens Leaders Call on City to Make ‘Long-Overdue Repairs’ to Damaged Sidewalks

Elected officials held a press conference near this sidewalk in Bellerose to bring attention to the sidewalks in need of repair in northeast Queens (Photo courtesy of State Sen. John Liu’s office)

July 15, 2021 By Christian Murray

State Sen. John Liu and several Queens officials held a press conference in Bellerose Tuesday to call on the city to repair sidewalks that were damaged about a year ago by Tropical Storm Isaias.

Liu, joined by community leaders and residents of northeast Queens, urged City Hall to fix several sidewalks that remain damaged by uprooted trees caused by the Aug. 4 tropical storm.

Many homeowners in northeast Queens remain concerned for their safety, Liu says, with many putting up traffic cones and homemade signs to alert pedestrians about the uprooted sidewalks to prevent injuries.

Liu said that the city had promised to make these sidewalk repairs when the weather improved—but has failed to fix them or provide any updates.

State Sen. John Liu, Ass. Members David Weprin and Nily Rozic, Borough President Donovan Richards and Council Member Barry Grodenchik held a press conference Tuesday to bring attention to the sidewalks in need of repair in northeast Queens (Photo courtesy of State Sen. John Liu’s office)

“These sidewalks are used daily by children, seniors, and other pedestrians to get to schools, parks, grocery stores, and to run daily errands,” Liu said in a statement.

“Sidewalk safety is more important than ever with the rise in pedestrian usage and it’s unfathomable that a year later the City has failed to make these repairs.”

Resident Kathy Parent, who lives where the press conference took place, said that the sidewalk by her house—along with others in the area—needs to be fixed.

“I am distressed by having the sidewalk in such an unattractive, unsafe and dangerous condition for the last year,” she said. “The city promised to repair it but they still have not done so.”

The city plans to do the work in coming weeks, according to a City Hall spokesperson.

“We’re grateful to all the elected officials who highlighted the outstanding work today, and we look forward to making the repairs in the coming weeks,” said Mitch Schwartz, a spokesperson for the mayor’s office. “Queens deserves safe and accessible sidewalks, and we’ll do everything we can to expedite the process from here.”

 

email the author: news@queenspost.com
No comments yet

Leave a Comment
Reply to this Comment

All comments are subject to moderation before being posted.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Recent News

Urgent manhunt underway for ‘animal’ who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in Flushing park on Thursday: NYPD

The NYPD announced a $10,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the arrest of a Hispanic man who allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl in a wooded area of Kissena Corridor Park on Thursday afternoon.

More than sixty investigators were at the crime scene late into the night. During a press briefing by NYPD brass on Friday, Chief of Department Jeffrey Maddrey said that the manhunt was expanded city-wide and that the department would spare no expense until the suspect was apprehended.

Southeast Queens man arraigned on weapons charges after cops search his ‘ghost car’ near LaGuardia Airport: DA

A Hollis man was criminally charged after police discovered a cache of weapons in his vehicle during a traffic stop. He was pulled over for driving a “ghost car” with obscured license plates in East Elmhurst near LaGuardia Airport during the early morning hours of June 12.

Judd Sanson, 27, of Jamaica Avenue, was ordered held without bail after he was arraigned in Queens Criminal Court on Thursday afternoon on a criminal complaint charging him with multiple counts of weapons possession, unlawful possession of pistol or revolver ammunition, and unlawful use of a police uniform or emblem and other crimes after the arsenal was found in his SUV.

Man sought for raping 13-year-old girl in Flushing park in broad daylight Thursday: NYPD

An urgent manhunt is underway in Northeast Queens after a Hispanic man allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl at knifepoint in Kissena Corridor Park in broad daylight on Thursday afternoon.

Police from the 109th Precinct in Flushing reported that the youngster was with a 13-year-old boy in the park near Kalmia Avenue and Colden Street at around 3:30 p.m. when a stranger approached and threatened them with a knife, forcing them both into a wooded section where he tied them up. The perpetrator proceeded to forcibly remove their cell phones before sexually assaulting the girl, police said, adding that he fled in an unknown direction.